Need to fry my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlosprazeres

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Hello collegues,

I have a laptop that is over 4 years now, and im trying to convince my wife we need to replace it, but she is adamant that we would only replace it when said laptop is dead and the repair cost would not be justifiable.

Hence i want to know creative ways to total the laptop in a non-physical way and in a way that a repair shop would say it would not be viable to repair.

I have been running prime 95 non-stop for over 10 hours a day with the laptop wrapped in a blanket but 3rd so far and no results.

Any help?

PCBuilderProbs

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
number one, this thread made my day.

Hmm, to fry your laptop, this'll be a tricky one. Maybe cut the cords that the RAM plugs into? I think on laptops the RAM plugs into tiny cords that you could mess up.

Maybe blowtorch the USB slots, HDMI slots, VGA ports, etc. or better yet blowtorch the charging slot so it can't charge anymore.

Pour Monster Energy all over the keyboard, and get it in real deep with cue tips.

Or you can just jump the gun and drop your laptop in a pool. Quick, easy, could never tell it fell into a pool.

Rookie_MIB

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Metal chassis? Or plastic? :D

Metal - strip the ends off an electrical cord, touch them to opposite sides and see if 120v of AC power does anything fun. Or use an arc-welder and just make a contact on both sides. 50amps of power does wonders.

Plastic chassis - use some -salt- water, dribble some into the main keyboard area and give it some time. The salt water is corrosive and will do more damage than just regular water, gatorade, monster drinks etc.

This is the strangest request I've ever seen, and I'm not sure how our rules would even apply to it, but for the sake of "research", I'd say that use of an overclock beyond the units ability to keep cool, and running Prime, might be the way to go. Is this an AMD or Intel unit? If it's AMD you can use Overdrive, if it's Intel then you can use Intel extreme tuning utility. If the bios has any fan options, you might either disable them or change them to a different setting. I'd also go into the Control panel advanced power options and change the minimum and maximum processor state both to 100% so the unit doesn't reduce the voltage. Turn off Intel Speedstep in the BIOS or AMD Cool N Quiet as well if there's an option for it so it doesn't downclock the CPU once it starts getting hot.

You could also always "accidentally" spill your drink on it. A large glass of water should do it.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Load a movie on the hard drive and watch it while you go for a jog. Leave the laptop in the sun inside a car while you go price the replacement for the now-dead drive. Then celebrate for your resourcefulness by stopping at the pet store and let a puppy have an accident on the laptop, preferably one that just woke up.

On the other hand, just setting the min and max processor states to 100% and running Prime under a blanket again might do the trick. It likely shut down the cores to the point where they weren't generating heat anymore once they got hot. You might have to run through several iterations of this to overheat it enough for serious damage to occur. I think your wife is likely to be suspicious regardless of how it dies though, since you've already had discussions about replacement.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
What's the make and model of the laptop? If it's refusing to die, you might be better off 'losing' it by donating it to a schoolkid who might be able to benefit from a free, if aged, laptop.

Feel free to let the wife come to the forums, I'm sure someone would be able to explain the benefits of a newer machine, and the sunken cost fallacy if it applies.

Carlosprazeres

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Lol i wasnt expecting so much help so fast.

Just answearing to a broad number of sugestions, the wife is a bit tech savy and she would throw a hissy fit if i somehow physicly trashed it, dropping it, water on it or letting a puppy have its way with it, since its her laptop and i only have time to destroy it during this week when she is at work.

Carlosprazeres

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

Done the min/max thing, left it to run prime 95 all day long wrapped in a blanket.

The model is a HP DV6-6190ep the chip is intel and the bios is crippled as hell, i cant change anything in the godamn thing its all blocked, i cant change speedstep, so i cant remove the throtling and i cant reach the fan because of the chassis construction to stick a damn thing in to stop it.

Carlosprazeres

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

Its an HP Dv6-6190ep.

If it magicly disappear so would i the day after, you would have to go look for me with a shovel.. in my backyard..

Carlosprazeres

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
I was wondering if running Furmark and Prime 95 with it wrapped in a blanket would do the trick.

And lets say i run both and it shutsdown due to overheating should i just keep repeating the process?

Like boot, run both, shutdowns, reboot, run both, shuts down, reboot etc etc?

Carlosprazeres

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

It's not "her" laptop its our laptop but shes the one that uses it mostly since i use the desktop but when i need to use the laptop for travel i dont even take it cause it cant run almost anything i need, hence the need to exchange it =P

Its not like she is going to loose something i just want to replace it with something better, without the tantrum and hissy fits she might put ª.ª.

And the reason i just dont buy one for myself is because according to the mistress "I already have a very expensive desktop and i dont need a laptop because i can use hers".........

Carlosprazeres

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

Irrelevant to the matter that is personal decision tbh.

IF you have anykind of creative sugestion im all ears ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.