Need video camera to record me building my computer for Youtube

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hey there

I am looking for under $250 digital video camera that I can put next to me when I build my next computer with goal to record my build and post it on YouTube. I am starting YouTube channel and need some material. What would you recommend? Would be nice if it could record video for long time and also do still pictures. Thank you.

Solution
The Canon VIXIA HF R700, which falls in your price range, has a microphone input jack. The one Sony I saw in that price range, Sony HDR-CX405, does not include a microphone input so you would have to rely on the on-camera microphone. The Canon has a slightly larger sensor (1/4.85") than the Sony (1/5.8") and should perform better in low-light conditions than the Sony. I'm not knocking Sony camcorders as I own a couple of older tape based models. Of course with good lighting the Sony would be a good choice as well.

As far a positioning goes it depends on how much movement you will have while recording. Is there any time that you will be moving in front of the camcorder while recording?

For sound I would use and external...

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Coke vs Pepsi these days. Just get one that is the best bang for your buck. You're not doing anything "professional", so don't worry about getting 4k, or anything like that. If they all have built in storage, get the one with the highest amount of storage. Pretty much all Video Cameras these days allow you to snap a pic while you are recording.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Yeah, but I was hoping someone would tell me what people use the most. I would go with Sony or Kodak or Fuji but I dont know pros and cones. If somebody already use one and can tell what they like and dont like about it- for example- mounting, positioning, lighting, sound recording- what else should I consider? Like- how would I position it? Will I need to buy a stand? Or would I need another person to follow me? I would obviously not have free hands to hold it if I try to film my build. And then I would need close view, so I will need to pick it up or use another camera? Thank you.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
A Gorilla stand would fit the bill nicely for you. They are very flexible with their mounting. For Video Camera, I've always used Sony in the past. They just seem to have nicer optics / white balance, and are generally pretty quick on the Auto-Focus.

The Canon VIXIA HF R700, which falls in your price range, has a microphone input jack. The one Sony I saw in that price range, Sony HDR-CX405, does not include a microphone input so you would have to rely on the on-camera microphone. The Canon has a slightly larger sensor (1/4.85") than the Sony (1/5.8") and should perform better in low-light conditions than the Sony. I'm not knocking Sony camcorders as I own a couple of older tape based models. Of course with good lighting the Sony would be a good choice as well.

As far a positioning goes it depends on how much movement you will have while recording. Is there any time that you will be moving in front of the camcorder while recording?

For sound I would use and external microphone as the on-camera microphone has a tendency to pick all room sounds.

As far as a stand (tripod) goes I would strongly recommend using one. A stand will help you avoid that annoying camera shake that will ruin what would have otherwise been a good or great video.

Solution

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Thank you for your post. I have very dark room- I have to use flash to take pictures.

I am looking at the specs list and I dont see anything about microphone. Do you know what kind of mic jack it has? All my mics are real audio microphones for vocals. I did see people having vocal condenser microphones used to record voice but how do they connect it to the camera? Thank you. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120848&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=CIS87ovnutECFdGCswod5N8PkA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hmmmm... If I was to record voice to computer, how hard would it be to sync it with the video? As I am typing it I realize- if I cut the video, I would have to match audio to it... unless there was a way to insert Audio in to video editing software and then cur video and audio at the same time. But- no, it will not work. Gotta be better way. I guess I would need to buy camera mic as well?

One way to solve a syncing problem is to use a clapboard or something else (an object which can be see on camera) to make a noise. Then you could use the noise along with the object to help synch the audio. Best bet is to buy a camera mic. Good to hear you made your choice and have purchased it. I hope all goes well with the build.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Interesting idea.

Thank you very much for your help.