Nero Adds CUDA to Accelerate Video Encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
No thanks, its already been proven that GPU accelerated encoders (The ATI encoder and Badaboom) suck.

a task such as transcoding a high-definition video to an iPod compatible format will go from taking hours, down to taking just minutes.

My Q6600 + x264 can already do this.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks skittle for your insightful input. Programming for these GPUs in Brook+ or CUDA is difficult and still in early stages. Hence early encoders will not be all they have promised. That doesn't mean that an encoder developed by NERO, one of the foremost encoding/transcoding/decoding for video companies will be bad, but to take the news with a grain of salt is probably recommended. In other words, your flaming lacks anything insightful to have been worth the time to write it.

Personally, I am hopeful that they can take advantage of the GPU power in the encoding process. I hope that CUDA is just a first step and that they are moving on to OpenCL so that all (new) cards will eventually be supported.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
[citation][nom][/nom]users with entry-level Nvidia graphics solution may not see the same performance gains as systems with faster Nvidia GPUs. [/citation]
Nah, you think?

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]No thanks, its already been proven that GPU accelerated encoders (The ATI encoder and Badaboom) suck.My Q6600 + x264 can already do this.[/citation]
No, it can't.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]No thanks, its already been proven that GPU accelerated encoders (The ATI encoder and Badaboom) suck.[/citation]

So you're saying that because 2 programs don't work that well the foundation sucks? I mean, all those programs (all 2 of them!) are clearly the pinnacle of CUDA evolution and will never be surpassed.

/sarcasm off

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Dark Shikari (one of the two main devs of x264) over on #x264 has been quoted many times saying that there are no real benefits of using the GPU.

Those encoders barely use the GPU anyway, the ATI encoder for example falls back on ffmpeg 90+% of the time.

The only real benefit GPUs have is in the decoding process, which if your encoding AVC->AVC helps alot. Let your GPU do the decoding (DGAVCindex/decode), and feed that to x264.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
[citation][nom]LeJay[/nom]No, it can't.[/citation]

If I turn down x264 to the quality of the ATI/badaboom encoders I can easily achieve over 200fps. Thats roughly 10minutes for a 90 minute 23.97fps film.

Icester

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I think what skittles means is that so far all the GPU based encoders suck - at least for quality of output (a point that I don't think anyone can disagree with). It is very disappointing that none of the developers took the time to make better encoders, instead they have given the GPU encoder idea a pretty big, ugly black eye. I think more than anything is proved that taking advantage of the GPU for complex tasks is more difficult than initially anticipated.

I think everyone will remain skeptical until someone pulls it off and I do hope that Nero does it. I definitely _do_ think that it can be done. I am very surprised that it has taken this long and still no tangible results.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
1. Bout time
2. Why isn't Nero standing on trial next to the Pirate Bay guys? I mean their software can be used to break the law right? Oh wait, that's right because they're not responsible for the actions of the end user. If only they applied this logic universally.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Really Skittle? You're going to attempt to continue and add to your line of reasoning that since 2 programs suck, and one guy said it won't work that the whole attempt at the gpu assisted decode is for nothing?

IBM in the 80s said that the home PC would never take off. They were as spot on as I believe you are.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]1. Bout time2. Why isn't Nero standing on trial next to the Pirate Bay guys? I mean their software can be used to break the law right? Oh wait, that's right because they're not responsible for the actions of the end user. If only they applied this logic universally.[/citation]
nero software alone can't copy or transcode copyrighted materials. If that materials has some sort of protection build in with that media.
1. You can't rip the copyrighted media using nero software.
2. Nero will tell you the media is copyright and will not continue if it discovered that it's copyrighted.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
No, Its because GPUs are indisputably good at Floating Point Calcuations. However encoders use very very little FP calculations. Do you see the relationship there? Its very simple. You have fallen victim to false claims by the PR people.

Hop on to #x264 and bug dark shikari, or akupenguin if you want the gory details.

G

Youare such a smart guy Skittles that you don't have a clue. If u use a softer to encode/decode you belive you know what is all about. Or that you know what CUD is... so you are victim of stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.