Netflix-Comcast Deal Could Kill Roku and Apple TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjarnts

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Comcast while a large provider, is not the only one that everyone uses. Plus, Roku has other channels and such that the cable box wont have. I use Netflix, HBO Go, and Amazon Prime and the roku is a great device for that. IMHO; it wouldnt hurt Roku/Apple TV that much.

remyj123

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
And there are a few of us who just flat out refuse to use the crappy Comcast Cable Box with it's lousy menu and slow response. A Tivo with a cable card does everything listed in this story and more for about the same cost as renting the cable box and with the ability to stream music and video from my home computer network. The menus and response time are way better too.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I am actually shocked that Netflix is willing to negotiate with comcast. Why would you negotiate with a company that wants nothing more than to put you out of business? In terms of set top boxes, I dont think it will be an issue. I use my Rokus for other channels other than netflix and ultimately (if it wasn't for my wife needing to watch real housewives of %^$&*, I would get rid of my tv provider and watch everything online and record the main channels with an HD antenna.

Comcast is trying their hardest to stop the online train. They along with DirectTV block access to HBOGO, and FOXNOW on Roku devices because they don't want to give people any excuse to get a roku device (knowing that it will eventually help in their demise). This could be another reason why they are willing to partner with Netflix. I am willing to bet that this partnership is merely an app on their new x1 box that will allow netflix customers to access their account.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Comcast simply wants people to be reliant on their equipment and service. This stops people from deciding they they could get by fine without cable with only Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming services.

Cable TV in its current form is quickly becoming obsolete and the Cable companies know this. The prices they charge are simply laughable. I can't believe how many people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for service, only to be bombarded by advertising during about 30% of their watch time. That's like literally paying to watch advertising.

My biggest concern is that Companies like Comcast will eventually lose most of their cable television services and become primarily an ISP. In order to make the extreme profits they are used, they might resort selling internet service on the basis of how much data is consumed, similar to the way the wireless carriers do.

Hopefully Google can expand its fiber network before that happens in order to prevent them from doing so. If greedy companies like Version, Comcast, and AT&T get their way, expect to pay.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Much as the above doubters say Comcast hate Netflix, they are still business people and it makes sense to side with someone that can sell and distribute its products outside its normal sales area. Comcast doesn't exist in Europe, but Netflix is and they should get a bundle by having their shows there.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Streaming Netflix might be a majority on XBox360 and PS3, but I gave that up. The Roku is slower, but it's not the power hog of a game console, and it doesn't require an Xbox Live membership to get access. Plus I get more channels on my Roku then Xbox.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
@Ubercake, it is a partnership, not a takeover/buyout/merger. Netflix will still be Netflix. Comcast will only be able to dictate what Netflix can do on their boxes, nothing more. Netflix can still do whatever the hell they want with their service if it were to go through.

Jackal830

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Wow, there is so much stuff wrong with this article.

1) The Roku can do much more than just Netflix and Hulu
2) Comcast doesn't service all of the country
3) Are people going to pay separate cable box fees to have netflix on each TV? (A roku can be had for a one time fee of $50)
4) People are dropping cable in record numbers, Nielsen says there are 5 million households that just antenna or no traditional TV.

Sometimes I think the cable providers pay for these types of articles. Cable TV service is in the middle of dying a slow death. Cable companies try to slow it's demise by introducing cable Internet bandwidth caps and other questionable tactics to force usage, but it'll only work for so long.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Cordcutters don't use cable, comcast, cox or others...JUST THE NET. For those and many like us, we just need a box to get what we want (or in some cases no box at all). This merely stems the tide for a few from jumping cordcutter, but the reason we CUT that cord is PRICE and 18mins per hour of commercials. The only way to lower the price and get around commercials is CUT OUT CABLE TV. Whether or not you buy a BOX, use xbox360 etc to get what you want after is not the point. The point is we're CUTTING CABLE TV in large numbers. Good luck comcast etc...LOL. I'm looking forward to a roku4 providing it gives more formats with different audio. Only about half our shows work so we end up using bluray for flash drive stuff. I don't have roku3, maybe it plays more DD5.1, DTS AC3 type stuff. It seems to only like mp3 audio though I haven't bothered to really test it much, since a bluray is right below it...LOL. We just pull out of roku, push flash into bluray and back in business :) But yeah, Roku has hundreds of channels if I'm bored of netflix. No need for cable tv.

elbert

Distinguished
Roku has the Time Warner cable app with 300 channels as well as Netflix. At most I see this as comcast only trying to level the playing field with TWC. TWC for some time now has been allowing customers to use the roku as a secondary cable box.

facebook17

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
My Uncle Jeremiah recently got a stunning black Chevrolet Corvette Convertible just by some parttime working online from home... see this here WWW.MAX47.COM

Murphy Belle

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Streaming Players Club on Facebook..Everything Roku in one place. You Tube, Channels, links, news and hard to find Roku info. From beginners to pros, we have what you are looking for.."FREE"

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
"Netflix-Comcast Deal Could Kill Roku and Apple TV"
I don't see it that way. Most of the people go the Netflix/Hulu route to cut the cord, no matter what others may say. I would think this would benefit Netflix more than Comcast in the long run as this would be a good way to transition people from Comcast to Netflix. Once people see how much more time they spend watching an $8 Netflix service vise the high priced crap on Comcast they'll join they growing number who are cutting the cord. Then they'll be watching that $8 service on a Roku box or Apple TV.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
What a long-winded crap speculation piece. EVEN IF Netflix is available on Comcast subscribers cable boxes, Netflix isn't the only app that Roku or Apple TV or any other similar streaming service that people who have these devices use. Adding netflix to comcast cable boxes would likely have a small impact on Roku or Apple TV.

Moreover, I'd like to see these numbers that show people who are Comcast cable subscribers and also pay for Netflix--specifically, do those who pay for netflix also subscribe to higher Cable packages and/or premium channels? In my experience, most people who pay for Netflix are doing so to supplement a higher cable package, not in addition to it. Most of the time, it's just those who have a basic cable package.

dshawley

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
What comcast needs to do is lower their prices on TV services. Their Internet is amazing IMO but it seems every time I turn around the cable price is going up again.

dshawley

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
What comcast needs to do is lower their prices on TV services. Their Internet is amazing IMO but it seems every time I turn around the cable price is going up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.