Netflix on PS3 Will Require Special Blu-ray Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Well dont his put a damper on MS plans on running the streaming content show lol. Too bad though as I own a 360 and not a ps3.

G

Interesting...if it is going through Blu-ray's BD-Live, then it should be usable on any blu-ray player that has enough storage to download a whole movie at a time

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
WTF is with this requiring a disc? I enabled this on my Xbox 360 by typing in a number on my netflix account and the PS3 you have to have a disc mailed to you? I guess it's always cool to have an extra streaming option in case the 360 dies. Can just switch over to the PS3 and finish up the movie. Wonder if the service will be the exact same. I won't be paying the $2/month blu-ray fee just to stream movies.

G

El_Capitan, how is that any different than xbox streaming? sure they may label them as hidef, but you never know the quality until you actually play it.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]WTF is with this requiring a disc? ... I won't be paying the $2/month blu-ray fee just to stream movies.[/citation]

I ordered my free blu-ray disc from Netflix last night and I don't pay the extra blu-ray rental fee. As was reported on other sites, this disc is just a temporary solution until Sony releases a new firmware update to add the Netflix service to the XMB.

G

and it would be trivial for them to make all of their hi-def selections available as blu-ray versions.

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]360 is planning on instant-on 1080p content...let see if PS3 can match that....[/citation]

1080p content on what bandwidth? Last time I checked, Blu-rays play at about 36 Mbps. That or it'll be one majorly compressed video.

thecolonel2323

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]WTF is with this requiring a disc? I enabled this on my Xbox 360 by typing in a number on my netflix account and the PS3 you have to have a disc mailed to you? I guess it's always cool to have an extra streaming option in case the 360 dies. Can just switch over to the PS3 and finish up the movie. Wonder if the service will be the exact same. I won't be paying the $2/month blu-ray fee just to stream movies.[/citation]

I would much rather have to use a disc in the PS3 than maintain a $5/mo Xbox live account just to use netflix.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolonel2323[/nom]I would much rather have to use a disc in the PS3 than maintain a $5/mo Xbox live account just to use netflix.[/citation]

Math fail. 50/12 != 5

I would much rather download a Netflix application than wait for a disc to be mailed to me. But hey, that's just me.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This make it seems like the reason PS3's cannot support Netflix without disk is that their browser sucks.

Why can't PS outsource their useless browser to Mozilla or Google is beyond me.

And Sony needs to shut up and stop demanding revenue from Hulu.

dustinsroberts83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Do you guys even know what you are talking about. The quality is determined by your connection speed. The 360 is NOT planning on a 1080p streaming service. The speed required for HD and uncompressed audio is not here yet. Nice try fanboy.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mactruck[/nom]I ordered my free blu-ray disc from Netflix last night and I don't pay the extra blu-ray rental fee. As was reported on other sites, this disc is just a temporary solution until Sony releases a new firmware update to add the Netflix service to the XMB.[/citation]

Do you have to return the disc or is it just a throw away? Does it count as a movie rental?

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dustinsroberts83[/nom]The quality is determined by your connection speed.[/citation]Hey, fanboi, there's this interesting web technology called buffering. You may want to check into that.

FAIL!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dustinsroberts83[/nom]Do you guys even know what you are talking about. The quality is determined by your connection speed. The 360 is NOT planning on a 1080p streaming service. The speed required for HD and uncompressed audio is not here yet. Nice try fanboy.[/citation]

Um... yes, yes they are actually. It's not a rumor... it's been confirmed by Microsoft. Here's a link...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1080p+streaming+coming+to+Xbox+360

thecolonel2323

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Math fail. 50/12 != 5I would much rather download a Netflix application than wait for a disc to be mailed to me. But hey, that's just me.[/citation]

Logic Fail! Not everyone buys 12 month subscriptions. Also there is such thing as tax and shipping that could adjust someone's cost of said 12 month subscription.

dustinsroberts83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Microsoft says anyone can have a 1080p/5.1 experience, but they may be required to download the content instead of streaming it if they don’t have an 8 - 10 Mbps broadband connection.

8-10 Mbps is not typical...yet.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolonel2323[/nom]Logic Fail! Not everyone buys 12 month subscriptions. Also there is such thing as tax and shipping that could adjust someone's cost of said 12 month subscription.[/citation]

You still fail either way. It isn't $5/month if you pay month-to-month and there is no state tax rate of 20% which would be required to hike the price up to $60. On top of that you pay for Xbox live on xbox live... you'd be dumb to have it shipped. Either way, you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.