Solved! Netflix wont play through home theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2018
Hey everyone, im new at this and have just set up my new home theater. Working with a Yamaha RX-V683 receiver. LG OLED 65E7 is the TV. DirecTV, XBox One S all work flawlessly but when i go to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime Video i just hear audio out of the TV only. I have messed with TV settings, tried Optical cable to no avail. The TV is connected to the receiver via ARC. Any other thoughts? I have read through all the search topics but nothing i have found has helped. I figure it has to be something with the receiver at this point.

Solution
Since you are using ARC, there has to be a setting in your TV that you need to change to enable the audio being sent out to the receiver.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/ - talks about ARC

Your other option would be to use the old school method, that while increases the amount of cables I think might be easier. In this case you would use your optical output on the TV and plug it into Audio 1 or 2, however, I'm not sure that that 2 TV on Audio 1 means so I would just plug into Audio 2. When you go to use the TV with Netflix, etc... you will just go to the Audio 2 input on the receiver and you shouldn't have to mess with any settings on the TV. If by chance that still doesn't work then there has...

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
It could be a DRM or HDCP issue, Check the Netflix help forums I think there's a topic on it there.
Are you using the Xbox to watch Netflix or something else? and are you connected direct to the TV from the Netflix device or via the receiver first?

I have mine set up differently (I think), I connect my PC to my receiver and the TV to the monitor output of the receiver and select the relevant input. Mine doesn't have an ARC though so I can't set it up like you have. I do find I need to have the TV and receiver powered up and set to the right input before booting the PC though, but that causes differnt probelms than what you describe (mostly no audio).

Oct 4, 2018

Nothing stupid about this. I am in a bit over my head. So the way i have it set up right now is that my Xbox is on HDMI 1, HDMI 2 is my Direct TV and thats all i have set up currently. Im not sure what input i should be trying to access Netflix app on. If i do it while watching TV on input 2, then the cable will keep going audio and all and the two will play at the same time. What a mess. The TV connection to the receiver has to be good i think bc everything else is working great.

Oct 4, 2018

I am using the app on my TV. The remote has a Netflix and Amazon button so i was just using those. I suppose i could navigate the Xbox One and use Netflix that way? Every TV i have had i have just used the apps and this is my first home theater setup.

jeremyj_83

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
Since you are using ARC, there has to be a setting in your TV that you need to change to enable the audio being sent out to the receiver.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/ - talks about ARC

Your other option would be to use the old school method, that while increases the amount of cables I think might be easier. In this case you would use your optical output on the TV and plug it into Audio 1 or 2, however, I'm not sure that that 2 TV on Audio 1 means so I would just plug into Audio 2. When you go to use the TV with Netflix, etc... you will just go to the Audio 2 input on the receiver and you shouldn't have to mess with any settings on the TV. If by chance that still doesn't work then there has to be a setting somewhere to enable the TV to output to external speakers.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.