New barebones build, black screen

Bobdasamurai

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I have recently put together my first barebones laptop system. I used an MSI Whitebook, model MS-1763, with an i7 4800mq and 8 GB of RAM. I put it all together, and well, it won't start. The power light comes on, the fan spins up, and it just... sits there. It will stay on as long as it has power. The USB ports work, the cd drives pop open, the keyboard lights come on, but the hard drive won't spin up and the screen stays completely black. The only light in the front that lights up is the little charging light if I have my battery in.

My first thought was that something was mounted incorrectly, so I remounted my hard drive, RAM and CPU. No changes. Then I removed my HDD completely, no change. This is my first barebones build, so any ideas at all are welcome.

Solution
The board may have a whitelist of usable cpu's or ram, (won't boot if anything else is used) just because the cpu fits the socket doesn't mean it will work (with laptops anyways). Try to find a service manual for the laptop to see what cpu's it officially supports.

Jaxem

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
The board may have a whitelist of usable cpu's or ram, (won't boot if anything else is used) just because the cpu fits the socket doesn't mean it will work (with laptops anyways). Try to find a service manual for the laptop to see what cpu's it officially supports.

Solution

Bobdasamurai

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Well... here is the "qualified part list". http://www.msiwhitebook.com/product/notebook/download/keypartAVL_MS-1763_20130420.pdf

I see the 4700mq on there, but i can't really tell what the other CPUs are... on the main page on the MSI website(http://www.msiwhitebook.com/product_spec.asp?model=MS-1763), it just says you must have "Intel® HSW Intel Core i7/i5 mobile processors (Max. TDP: 47W)" and the 4800mq fits that description. Similar situation with the RAM, just says DDR3 ram up to 1600MHz, and I got some G-Skill RAM that fits that description as well.

EDIT: Ok WELL thats what I get for not reading into it. I managed to track down the recommended RAM and its CL11... the RAM I got was CL10. Didn't realize that laptop RAM was so finicky, but apparently that's all it takes.

EDIT 2: Well I just received my recommended RAM today. STILL no boot... I know the CPU is supported now, have seen a few example builds using my barebones with the 4800mq and it works just fine. So I've run out of ideas again...