Solved! New custom-built PC won't detect detachable mic on headphones

Aug 14, 2019
Hello all. I recently built a PC that I will use for both programming and gaming. When I was about to use the mic on my headphones, I get a warning message that no input is being detected from the mic. The mic perfectly works on my PS4, laptop, and even android phone. I tried plugging it in the audio jacks but it still doesn't work. Any fix recommendations?

Solution
Hello all. I recently built a PC that I will use for both programming and gaming. When I was about to use the mic on my headphones, I get a warning message that no input is being detected from the mic. The mic perfectly works on my PS4, laptop, and even android phone. I tried plugging it in the audio jacks but it still doesn't work. Any fix recommendations?

Sounds like you have a 4 pole headset and the computer has 3 pole audio connections. Need details about headphones and computer.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Hey there. I'm a gamer who builds my own systems too. While I'm due for an upgrade, my current rig is no slouch. You didn't mention if you're using on-board audio or a dedicated card like me (ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card). You may be able switch the inputs around via the software to experiment/ troubleshoot. What's the make/ model# of your headset and MOBO/ Audio card? If you have an add-on card and your MOBO has audio included, go into the BIOS and be sure the on-board audio is DISABLED.

I had the same issue. I had to do it manually, vs auto-detect. If you've tried this, double-check the case's audio connection to the MOBO header. If these tricks don't work, you may have to RMA your card. If you don't have a dedicated card and you have room for one, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one.

Last edited:

Sounds like you have a 4 pole headset and the computer has 3 pole audio connections. Need details about headphones and computer.

Solution