TommyGar

Estimable
May 1, 2014
How do you connect an old HDTV receiver to a new flat screen TV?

The receiver has two female coaxial connections for the rabbit ears and out-to-TV. And the AV "Yellow-White-Red" connections.

My new TV has the 5x (Green-Blue-Red Video + Red-White Audio) Component connections and one Coax female.

Currently the TV on its own has bad reception. I only get four air channels, the rest show as "No signal"... So I want to hook it up to the receiver to get all the channels I had before. But when I connect it to the coax nothing happens. And obviously the AV cables get me a bad B&W signal when I plug the "yellow video" plug into the "green video component" connection.

Please don't reply with "get cable" or something like that. I just need this issue answered.

Solution
why dont you connect the antenna directly up to the tv?

if you dont want to do that...

It is typical on modern TVs to drop the 'yellow' RCA composite video connection in favor of pairing it up on top of the component video connection.

This connector on TVs may fall onto a different color than green, but Samsung uses green.

If you look at this photo:
900x900px-LL-0ff70730_LED_Component_Connection_Wires_Connected_Small0.jpeg

You can see that the Red/Blue/Green RCA connections for component video have an indicator on it right above the green that is YELLOW and says 'VIDEO'. This means that you can connect a composite video source to the green connector and it will be able to show composite video...
why dont you connect the antenna directly up to the tv?

if you dont want to do that...

It is typical on modern TVs to drop the 'yellow' RCA composite video connection in favor of pairing it up on top of the component video connection.

This connector on TVs may fall onto a different color than green, but Samsung uses green.

If you look at this photo:
900x900px-LL-0ff70730_LED_Component_Connection_Wires_Connected_Small0.jpeg

You can see that the Red/Blue/Green RCA connections for component video have an indicator on it right above the green that is YELLOW and says 'VIDEO'. This means that you can connect a composite video source to the green connector and it will be able to show composite video.

When going through your inputs on the TV do NOT go to the component input, but go to the 'video' or 'composite' input. This is the only way that the TV will recognize that you are trying to send it a composite video signal.

If you have a more traditional piece of gear around, like a DVD player or cable box with a composite video connection, give those a try to that input to see how well it works. You should get an image with no problems at all.

Solution