New headphone suggestions $250 budget

FastGunna

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
My Astro A40s broke, the proprietary optical cable that they don't sell stopped functioning. This is my second pair, the first which had the same issue was broken by my cat so I didn't blame Astro for that. However these broke on their own in about 6 months so I'm bailing on astro.

I'm looking for a similar setup to the Astros, I've gotten very used to having the mixamp and having the voice audio separate from the system audio, and light weight open back headphones. Both mixamps I've had issues with adjusting volume, most of the time if the audio on the dial is below 50% turning the dial just means the volume will change, not necessarily in the direction you want. In addition the sound while changing volume is very scratchy.

So what are the best options in the 250 range? I'm thinking AD700X with an inexpensive amp/dac but don't have any idea where to begin with those.

Solution
If you are looking for the best FPS positional audio alot of people will recommend the sennheiser hd558, but I personally much prefer the AKG K612, around $120-$150 on ebay, with a Fiio E10k which is about 75. Otherwise I would suggest the DT990 pro's with the fiio E10k for more mid bass and fun sound.

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
If you are looking for the best FPS positional audio alot of people will recommend the sennheiser hd558, but I personally much prefer the AKG K612, around $120-$150 on ebay, with a Fiio E10k which is about 75. Otherwise I would suggest the DT990 pro's with the fiio E10k for more mid bass and fun sound.

Solution