New headset with 1 plug: Speakers work, microphone does not.

b0031302

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Turtle Beach Ear Force Z11
- Has 1 plug instead of the usual 2 (was told it doesn't matter)
- Audio works perfectly fine
- Microphone does not get recognised (only the built-in laptop mic)

I don't know what sound card I've got, although in device manager I can see three controllers:
- High Definition Audio Device
- NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device
- NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDWM)

I would really appreciate any help on this matter!

b0031302

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Tried it now but that made it so that nothing gets recorded at all. As far as I understand an external mic should just take over the one found under the recording tab in sound options, currently, that take over does not happen when I plug in the headset. It just stays with the built-in one.

b0031302

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

I don't know where to look for updated drivers. I can only see High Definition Audio Device in Device Manager, so I don't know the manufacturer of my sound card. Do you know how to look that up?

M0j0jojo

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
did you do this? Test using a PC in Windows 7 in detail: (It may differ depending on the User's configuration)
Go to: Start (round Windows icon on bottom left) > and click on the text field. Type in "Sound" and a list of results will appear. Under "Control Panel", click on "Sound" with the speaker icon on the left. In the new window that opens, click on the "Recording" tab, and make sure the correct Microphone device is selected.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/830517161/

im assuming you have windows 7

b0031302

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Yes that's what I've been doing. Still can only hear sounds from the laptop mic. I found a manual for the headset on turtle beach's website though, and it says the package should come with an adapter for PC usage. Basically the adapter splits the cable so that you get 2 plugs instead of 1. I didn't get that adapter when I bought it, so will have to fix that when the stores opens tomorrow I guess...

Thanks for the help anyway! Think it's just the cable really.

M0j0jojo

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Glad to help :)

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
From the look of things, your headset combines the speaker and microphone into the same plug. If your computer doesn't have the correct receptacle for it, you will only get one function, in your case the speaker.

The Turtle Beach website lists a splitter for the speaker and microphone function. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/cables-parts/audio-mic-splitter/221

Casey

*EDIT* I see I took too long to post. You have already found what I suggested.

b0031302

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Yes that seems to be the issue. Cheers Casey.

Exitailad

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
I have kinda the same problem with my Microsoft i have to plugs on the headset but one on the laptop the cable adapter works with both audio and mic but i can only get audio