New HP Pavilion X360 upgrade to Windows 10 1803 broke functionality - HP Support is useless

777Bounce

Estimable
May 11, 2015
I bought an HP Pavilion X360 15 br010nr in April and recently upgraded it to Win 10 version 1803. The audio and touch screen no longer work, and I have warning triangles on my cpu cores in device manager. The touch screen doesn't even show up.

HP "support" verified that it is not a hardware issue (Tested pre-windows boot) and told me that the upgrade to 1803 messed up the drivers. They are claiming the only solution is to wipe the machine using the recovery tool, which won't work because I also upgraded to an SSD and they want $60 for a new recovery image!

I believe this is nonsense. In 30+ years, and dozens of computers, I have never had to resort to a factory recovery. I refuse to pay $60 for a recovery image that I don't believe is needed in the first place. However, they, at this point, refuse to help me further (Under warranty no less).

So, I have a few questions:

1) Why couldn't I just re-install Win 10 fresh without all their garbage, except for the fact that none of their drivers, even those labelled for 1803, work for the Audio, and the Touch Screen is not even recognized by Windows at all, and there is no driver on HPs support page.

2) I've uninstalled, installed, removed, etc, every version of their audio driver that could work and none do. This makes no sense to me.

3) Is it possible to download a recovery image somewhere besides paying HPs stupid ransom fees?

It may not be the best way to go about it, but if I can't find a resolution short of paying them, the laptop will either just be returned, or I will cost them many times more in tech support than if they would just let me download the stupid recovery image in the first place. Most likely, I will wear them out until they resolve this, because I have time and am supremely annoyed.

All help appreciated.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
How did you upgrade? That is, did you format the drive in the process or run the upgrade from Windows Update? If the latter you may be able to revert back to the old version. In Settings, look under Update & Security > Recovery.

As to the Q:

1. You should be able to. I'd have to check where you can get a proper Windows image from before ver. 1803 (1709 or whatnot) since the official Microsoft download page will just give you the latest version

2. Beats me

3. For an official HP recovery image, I wouldn't trust any source aside from HP. Free downloads are a cesspit of malware and torrents are risky too.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
As to the touch screen driver, that's not a download because touch screen support became a standard feature of Windows since Windows 8 (like USB support or whatnot). Aside from a handful of special/uncommon touch controllers, the drivers for touch are integrated into Windows.

-> let me add also regarding the audio driver, it just occurred to me that I've seen in some instances where a driver written for Windows 10 fails to work, an older driver for Windows 8/8.1 worked.

777Bounce

Estimable
May 11, 2015

So, the touch screen works pre-windows boot in HP's hardware diagnostic tool. Once Windows boots, the touch display doesn't work, nor does it show up under HID devices. I'm rather confused by this behavior if touch is built into Windows 10.

777Bounce

Estimable
May 11, 2015

Pavilion x360 15 br010nr is what I have. It came with Windows 10 installed. It was the upgrade to 1803 that messed things up. HP has drivers for 1803 that don't work. So... your post is completely off track and unhelpful.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

It seems to me that your installation of Windows could have somehow became corrupted in the upgrade process, which is why all sorts of drivers are going nuts. If it's not possible to roll things back through the settings app a clean re-installation of Windows ver 1803 might work.

777Bounce

Estimable
May 11, 2015
Alright, thank you for the input!

Contrary to being told by HP support that using their $60 image was the only way to fix it, I just bit the bullet and re-installed Win 10.

Everything works just fine now. Pretty easy really. Kind of annoying that they would tell me it wouldn't work.