New laptop ideas

Dave8671

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Laptop needs to be lite weight and powerfull, reliable. think size between 12- 14 inch screen. This is for my other half. Mainly for work traveling. I have been researching brands etc. A keyboard with a numbepad which is useful for
Scientist.

jaguarskx

Champion
A laptop will only have a numberpad if it is a "full size" 15.6" laptop. There are 15.6" laptops out there which are close to the size of a 14" laptop because they have very thin bezels around the screen, but they do not have a numberpad. The Dell XPS 15 is an example.

If you want a 12" - 14" laptop and have a numberpad, then you need to buy a separate numberpad that connects to a USB port.

jaguarskx

Champion
Let's begin with the following 15.6" ASUS VivoBook F510UA. It is basically the least expensive laptop with the low power consumption quad core i5-8250u CPU for $510. It has a "NanoEdge" display which is their term for thin bezel so this laptop is closer to the size of a typical 14" laptop. According to the details it weighs in at 3.7lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-i5-8250U-NanoEdge-Fingerprint-F510UA-AH51/dp/B0762S8PYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528400257&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+vivobook+f510ua+fhd

The downside of a light laptop though is a smaller battery for reduced battery life. One user stated about 4 hours of battery life, but that actually depends on what you are doing with the laptop. For example, typing a research paper uses far less power than editing video. The following review states that battery life is between 5 - 6 hours, does not say what was being done during that time.

https://laptopunderbudget.com/asus-vivobook-f510ua-ah51-laptop-review/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Laptop General Discussion 4
R Laptop General Discussion 1
Z Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 2
U Laptop General Discussion 4
B Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 1
B Laptop General Discussion 5
codecrazy666 Laptop General Discussion 11
K Laptop General Discussion 2