New laptop no OS, USB 3.0, no CD drive, no network capability

Leaveityea

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
As the title suggests I just bought a new laptop. It came without an OS which I thought I could handle but apparently not.

It only has USB 3.0 ports, no optical drive and no network capabilities. I managed to get windows 7 installed using the Intel USB 3.0 drivers tool but I can't work out how to get drivers, which came on a disc, onto it.

I connected it to another laptop via Ethernet cable and the other picks it up as an unknown network but my new laptop doesn't find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Edit: no option in BIOS to set USB to 2.0 either.

Solution

If the system does not see anything in the USB ports, you'd have to remove the hard-drive, set it up as a secondary in another system and copy the drivers directly to...
Hi,

Depending on the brand of your laptop you can download and install the drivers from their support site. You can either just download them directly from the website but if your laptop won't connect to the internet you can use a different PC or laptop to download the drivers and store them inside the USB and then install them using the USB.

Leaveityea

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

I have the drivers but the laptop won't even acknowledge something being plugged into USB, so can't use them.

If the system does not see anything in the USB ports, you'd have to remove the hard-drive, set it up as a secondary in another system and copy the drivers directly to the drive, then put the drive back in the laptop and run the driver setups.

Reactions: Senbonzakuramiku
Solution