New laptop super SLOW

PabloCamario

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
My brand new laptop seems to be underperforming. Start up is fast but everything else is really slow: using Office, web browsing, even basic windows is slow: right click menus take long to pop up, when I open a folder it takes several seconds to load the icons for each file, etc.

I ran the userbenchmark.com test and it agrees it's underperforming, although i dont know how realible it is. apparently processor is performing "way below expectations".

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3204913

Also I have access to other notebooks with simmilar specs and they all work so much better.

What could de the issue?

Specs:
Intel Celeron CPU 2840 2.16 GHz
4gb ram
Windows 10

Solution
The vendor should be slapped upside the head for selling a lappie with 4 GB but all the listed components are extreme low end. 2 x 4GB has been the recommended starting point since 2011.

All our laptops are equipped with SSHDs ... we tested 120 GB SSD + 2 GB HD versus a 2TB SSHD some years back ant both our software testing and blind user tests showed no observed differences of significance. Only problem was the small SSD need regular "cleaning" every 4 - 6 months. A 250 Gb SSSD would eliminate that worry.

However, it's gotta be said that sticking an SSD / SSHD ona lappie with those specs is kinda like sticking a $3 k set of tires and rims on a $600 car. You are removing one roadblock only to be hit by another.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately she's pretty low end. I wouldn't downgrade to Win7, you could have driver issues with that downgrade. What I would do is install an SSD. When I bough my last 2 laptops they came with a terribly slow traditional platter hard drive, once I upgraded them to SSDs they performed really well. Before the upgrade I was pissed at myself for buying "crap". After the SSD, I was VERY happy.

Goran Petric

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014

What driver issues are you talking about? His celeron is from 2014 anyways... I have 14 similar spec fujitsu machines in my caffe, core2duo at 3.0 Ghz with DDR3. I got them on win10, using it sucked, i reverted them all on win7 and now they run much better. Win 10 is bad on low end hardware (because of all that logging & spying he is doing)

The vendor should be slapped upside the head for selling a lappie with 4 GB but all the listed components are extreme low end. 2 x 4GB has been the recommended starting point since 2011.

All our laptops are equipped with SSHDs ... we tested 120 GB SSD + 2 GB HD versus a 2TB SSHD some years back ant both our software testing and blind user tests showed no observed differences of significance. Only problem was the small SSD need regular "cleaning" every 4 - 6 months. A 250 Gb SSSD would eliminate that worry.

However, it's gotta be said that sticking an SSD / SSHD ona lappie with those specs is kinda like sticking a $3 k set of tires and rims on a $600 car. You are removing one roadblock only to be hit by another.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't

cpu don't need driver but other components do, like touchpad, web cam. Just because it work for you, doesn't mean it work for everybody.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That's exactly what I was talking about. I've downgraded machines that were made for a newer OS to an older one and had many issues and I won't do it again because it is a pain.

Goran Petric

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
The thing is that laptop of his is old, and i'm sure it's made for windows7 and has all the support it needs. Its probably the retailers who put windows10 on them. You can easily check on manifacturers webpage about support...but i'm 100% certain it supports win7 even more than it does win10. My fujitsu-siemens machines have very little win10 driver support for example.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

I had issues with laptop under-performing because windows installed a generic sata driver.
Go to manufacturer's website and install the one from there to see if it helps.
Also, if you don't have a ssd in the computer, it most likely have a 5400 rpm drive witch has issues with windows 10.

hope it helps