New (old) Toshiba Satellite Laptop won't power on

misanthropy83

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Hello!

I have been given a Toshiba Satellite laptop which has been sitting unused for several years in it's carry case since new. It looks absolutely immaculate, not a spec of dust nor a fingerprint.

It does not turn on. Upon powering on, the green light shows that it is on, the fan spins for a second or two, but that's all. Blank screen, no post beeps, no hdd activity, nothing. I have tried with and without the battery, same result. I have re-seated the ram, hdd looks fine (everything really does look brand new), nothing. I also tried an external monitor, nothing there either.

I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Try the following and see if it will turn on...

1. Unplug your charger cord.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
4. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
5. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop. You may also want to try charging it when the device is off, rather than on. If it works then, the cord is probably the issue.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.
Try the following and see if it will turn on...

1. Unplug your charger cord.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
4. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
5. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop. You may also want to try charging it when the device is off, rather than on. If it works then, the cord is probably the issue.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

Solution