New Razer Blade vs Dell XPS 15

ThePrall44

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I'm trying to decide between the top tier Dell XPS 15 (512GB SSD) and the New Razer Blade 14.

I'm a medium level gamer currently (Civ V, Skyrim) but would like room to grow to more "intense" games like Watch Dogs and BF4. For this reason, I love the Razer Blade's 870M GPU.

Primarily, though, I'll use this laptop for video editing. I need to run the Adobe CC suite effortlessly. For this reason, I love the XPS's 16GB RAM, twice as large SSD, and full 15.6" screen.

What the Razer Blade lacks in the specs above, I think it makes up for with its GPU and form factor. Am I wrong? I'm also worried about cooling as I've heard the Razer Blade gets wicked hot.

I can afford both, especially with Microsoft Store discounts.

Episodic

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
You seem to be limiting yourself to 'ultra-book like' gaming laptops. The Razor Blade does have a decent GPU but it also runs on a 3200x1800 screen, so you get great resolution but it's extremely taxing on the GPU. Bare in mind the SSD is not set in stone, you can easily buy a 1TB SSD and put it into any laptop. It's as simple as unscrewing and popping one out and the other in. If you want something that can dominate anything you throw at it get this, http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9570-clevo-p570wm-p-3595.html?wconfigure=yes. You can customize it to a 2 way SLI NVidia 880M, (Which is a complete overkill). However, the Razer Blade Pro seems to be exactly what you're looking for. It has 16GB RAM, GTX 860M, up to 512GB SSD (or you can buy one yourself and put it in), and a 17.3" 1080p screen. You don't need 3200x1800 as an avid gamer/video editor anyways.

ThePrall44

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

I am limiting myself to ultrabook style because that's kinda what I'm after, the best compromise of power and portability, admittedly at the expense of ideal cooling. So I definitely don't want a 17" machine and I want the best build quality I can find, like I've heard machines like the GS60 Ghost will land me a subpar build.

Episodic

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

If you want the best of both worlds you can get the Razor Blade 14", and then upgrade the SSD and RAM yourself. The SSD and RAM are easy to replace, and probably the only thing you can with little effort. Otherwise I'd just get the Razor Blade.

daisame

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Do you know you can easily upgrade the 2014 Razer's RAM? I have been searching the internet for an answer to this. I have seen where the SSD can be upgraded, albeit with a little difficulty. It uses the new m.2 format SSDs which are not very common. The RAM on the older version could be updated, again, with a little difficulty and popping ribbon cables, and pulling up the main-board.

I have not been able to find any web site that shows the memory configuration for the 2014. While the vast majority of laptops have user replaceable memory, I would make sure before you buy, if that is something important to you.