New ROG GL502 making weird noises

Origlo

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Hello, I bought a brand new ROG GL502VS laptop last week and been pretty happy with it so far. The one thing i've noticed over the last few days is the laptop makes this weird rythmic grinding noise from one of it's sides. It's pretty quiet, but since I work in a slient space most of the day it's getting very annoying.
I've noticed that when the computer is plugged in the noise is more loud then when it's running on battery. Also, the computer is using a 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD if that's relevant.

i've tried recording this noise with my phone, it's hard to hear but you can hear the grinding/clicking sound it makes. http://vocaroo.com/i/s1FjWmwGa1qq

I havent bought a new computer in 5 years so i'm not sure what's standard anymore, so i'm asking you - is this sound normal? it hasent been a week since I bought it so I can get it replaced, I just dont want to make a fool out of myself by asking them to replace a normal sounding computer.

Thanks in advance.

miromeir

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
Mine does the same noise. laptop makes HDD noises but on mine THERE IS NO HDD!
Disabling cpu power managment helps, but it's not a solution! it just makes the laptop run hotter.
Have you solved it?

filipedbc

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

Don't know. After a while (1 or 2 months) my laptop stopped making these noises...