New Sound Blaster Recon3D Fits Mac, PC, Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
...an addon sound card for consoles? WTF? More info on this is needed. How could it possibly work for everything? It's not like consoles were designed to be able to disable their onboard audio. Or does it just use USB for power and reprocess the digital output from the console in some way, and if so, why bother?

G

Ahhh Sound Blaster. I remember when all you needed was one of them and a 3DFX Voodoo 2 card and you officially had a ninja PC

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Or does it just use USB for power and reprocess the digital output from the console in some way, and if so, why bother?[/citation]
Because anyone who has a good sound post-processing amp for either a HiFi or a Home Theatre setup knows the difference between good sound quality and standard output.

Of course, if you are prepared to spend this kind of cash just buy a decent AV amp and let that do the same job via the HDMI and don't buy this.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Man, so sad to see such a great company continue to circle the toilet. I spent good money on an Audigy Platinum EX card with external breakout box. It did good game audio, and had very clean inputs for doing beginning audio recording. But now everything is digital, there is no need for signal to noise ratio unless it is in your amp.
We all have USB headphones, or S/PDIF optical, or HDMI to our receivers these days, so why bother? And now on-board audio is more than good enough for all but the pickiest of audiophiles. And even for them there are much better sound card companies to go with.
They had great sound cards until Vista/7 rendered them useless. They had several iPod killers that had superb audio quality in the Zen players that never got off the ground because of a crap advertising department. They have good on board chips, but they overcharge for them so nobody wants them. They have very clean audio inputs, but have never pursued breaking into the pro recording industry. They could easily license their DAC and ADC tech to receiver makers, but they don't.
They are in such a great position as far as technology goes that they could take over the audio industry... if only they would hire an 8 year old to take over and run the business end correctly...

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
"6-channel 24-bit 102dB DACs, 4-channel 24-bit 101dB analog-to-digital (ADC) converters...

hardware-accelerated THX TruStudio Pro and select CrystalVoice audio technologies including Acoustic Noise Cancellation, Smart Volume and more."

This is like buying a decent preamp for your computer and is closer to true audiophile sound quality, but you better wait for professional reviews. And to really appreciate the sound quality provided by these devices you are going to need a good sound system, not a cheap gaming one.

So unless you already have decent speakers and AV receiver or amp you better save this money and buy better speakers. Not to mention your other PC components.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
"New Sound Blaster Recon3D Fits Mac, PC, Consoles"

Hello Steves hardware ohh forgott steve is about to be rip soon - what was the new wanna be steve name? Ohh yeah Tim's hardware! List the by far least used machine first explains where this site gets its money from. Cheers for neutral writing!

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I just don't see a need to buy a sound card anymore... I use my motherboards s/pdif output to my receiver and everything sounds great... what could this card do that I don't already have?

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]I just don't see a need to buy a sound card anymore... I use my motherboards s/pdif output to my receiver and everything sounds great... what could this card do that I don't already have?[/citation]

I'm really not sure but this might push Developers to do much more with sound, who knows.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]I just don't see a need to buy a sound card anymore... I use my motherboards s/pdif output to my receiver and everything sounds great... what could this card do that I don't already have?[/citation]

Had a guy at work say the same but I can hear a major difference between my onboard and my SB X-Fi. Games sound better and music does too. Most addon sound cards support more ranges and give more depth.

At least from what I have experienced, a sound card is for those who want the best quality sound available. Plus it pulls the audio from the CPU while onboard uses the CPU to process the sound.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
took them long enough to come out with a new card. i had to stray away from them years ago and got a HT omega striker which is better than the X-Fi. but really why would a sound card need a quad core processor

I just don't see a need to buy a sound card anymore... I use my motherboards s/pdif output to my receiver and everything sounds great... what could this card do that I don't already have?

I bet if you heard the sound from a HT omega or asus sound card you would think you're on board realtek HD sound chip is crap. even with just the analog inputs connected

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i like creative products, but the sound card was fade out slowly, what creative got to do was sell the sound blaster chipset to the mobo manufacture and let it intergrate on the mobo, i'll buy it if there is a sound blaster onboard on the mobo :)

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Motherboard integrated sound can never be as good as an separate sound apparatus. But yeah, you need good speakers or headphones to tell the difference.
(The mobo causes allkind of electronic distorsion to the sound...)

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I may buy & install it one of these days when I have some spare time. I'm off tonight,but I've been working twelve hour shifts lately,so I guess that I won't have much time to do anything at all in the next 5 months or so.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]if only they would hire an 8 year old to take over and run the business end correctly...[/citation]

I have seen "8 year old korean boy" playing a lot of TF2, I believe he is unemployed and may well look for a job at Creative. I will tell him next time I see him.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Had a guy at work say the same but I can hear a major difference between my onboard and my SB X-Fi. Games sound better and music does too. Most addon sound cards support more ranges and give more depth.At least from what I have experienced, a sound card is for those who want the best quality sound available. Plus it pulls the audio from the CPU while onboard uses the CPU to process the sound.[/citation]

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]took them long enough to come out with a new card. i had to stray away from them years ago and got a HT omega striker which is better than the X-Fi. but really why would a sound card need a quad core processorI bet if you heard the sound from a HT omega or asus sound card you would think you're on board realtek HD sound chip is crap. even with just the analog inputs connected[/citation]

I think you guys missed something in his post, he's outputting the sound to a receiver which would do the processing. A dedicated sound card will do better than onboard, but a decent receiver will give you much better sound than a dedicated sound card.

People who are really that concerned about their sound will use a good receiver with good speakers. Good speakers use direct wiring while sound cards tend to only use only RCA type jacks or digital passthroughs. At best you're already limited to using "computer" speaker sets. You also won't be able to input many other devices like you could with a receiver. I haven't seen the I/O box for this but I assume it's similar to the old ones used for Fatal1ty products. (Seriously how long did they get his endorsement for anyway?) This product won't appeal to audiophiles, and most other people can settle with decent quality onboard sound. If there's a market for this, maybe it's people with lousy computer speakers who want Creative's enhancement technology to make their system sound better than it is. That's something they tend to do well at.

[citation][nom]Ballmangler[/nom]Ahhh Sound Blaster. I remember when all you needed was one of them and a 3DFX Voodoo 2 card and you officially had a ninja PC[/citation]

Heck I remember when you needed one of these to have sound at all because the computers did not come with audio cards and the internal speaker only did simple beeps. Plus the games had to support your audio card so the soundblaster 16 was a great bet. As for video cards brands did not even matter. An elite card was one that could produce millions of colors. Although most games maxed out at 256 colors.

Though I remember computers farther back then that sound cards were not very prevalent in the 80's. The simple beeps of the internal speakers were fine. Except for some musicians and enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.