New SSD Not allowing Laptop to play any low end games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KrisD415

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
I just replaced my slow HDD in my laptop with an ssd, I redownloaded windows and attempted to play some small games like Cuphead, Broforce, or terraria. Each of them dropped to about 5 fps and completely dragged. I have a Intel i7-7500U, 12gb of ram, and a GeForce 940mx. I just installed a Samsung 860 Evo ssd. I updated all of the graphics drivers and windows itself I just do not know where to go from there. Everything ran before, I was just wondering if I missed something here.

KrisD415

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Yes, I completely understand that, When I shut it down, and then restart it, it fluctuates from 1.8 to 2.4. Not just from sleep, I am not incompetent.

1. I created a windows installation flashdrive
2. I formatted my previous attempt of cloning from my SSD.
3. It booted windows

I have already made sure the firmware and drivers are up to date.

USAFRet

Illustrious

"3. It booted windows"
You installed the OS on the SSD?
Or something else?

KrisD415

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
""3. It booted windows"
You installed the OS on the SSD?
Or something else?"

Yes, It is safe to say the SSD that I said I installed into my laptop is the drive that I downloaded windows to.

USAFRet

Illustrious

OK, terminology.
Installed, not 'downloaded'.

So...you have Windows (what version?) installed on the SSD in this laptop.
Correct?

And this is the only drive in this laptop? An 860 EVO?
All drivers installed and updated.
The only change was this new drive, correct?

And now somehow your FPS in the game is very very slow?
Yet somehow the system does an actual cold boot in 2.4 secs?

I'm just trying to verify, so that we're all on the same page.

Has the OS done all its outstanding updates?

KrisD415

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

I have windows 10 on this SSD, in the laptop. This is the only drive connected, and yes the only thing changed is the new drive. They run at like 4 fps and you can play Terraria on a potato. It may sound extremely weird, I know, but that is why I am on here. I am at a loss. It kinda forced me to update on the first startup aswell.

KrisD415

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

I have triple checked the graphics drivers and firmware for the ssd, nothing seems to help the issue.

KrisD415

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Heh.. Update your basic windows display drivers kids, it'll cripple your PC X'D. Thank you so much for the help