New to Video editing GOPRO

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Hello all,

Im very new to video editing, we just went on vacation and i bought a gopro to document all the snorkeling and stuff we did in the bahamas. Im new to filming, i have all my GOPRO video backed up on my pc, ranging from 1080p 60 FPS footage to 2.7 k 60 FPS footage. Anyways i dont know where to start i want to put all the footage i like together and add effects and cool professional enhancements like some auto color correction and music etc.. im a noobie at this , and im looking for some software i should start off using ? i dont want to lose ANY quality when editing the videos i would like to be able to share them eventually full resolution on youtube or facebook or something like that. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
I heard of Davinci i was thinking about trying it. The gopro one i think is too basic and has limited edit time or duration i think.

I think starting off im going to use a free good one, if i get into it i dont mind spending money for the good stuff like lightworks.

I also was kinda of sold on a editing software called Hitfilm 4 express, would that one be a good choice ?

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Wow i have been messing around with hitfilm 4 i like it, but still there is alot more to video editing i dont know about, do you recomment using templates ? i would love to do it from scratch but im totally just starting out and a little overwhelmed, im currently working on a intro compositing. Its for a vacation video shot in the bahamas, i need some like nice fonts and things that might be nice for that type of video. I think im really starting to get into to this, but im OCD so im gonna probably spend hours trying to make something impressive and perfect. wish me luck lol.

Thank you all for any help and advice.

Templates might be a good place to start as you can, or at least should be able to, modify templates. I understand about wanting something impressive and perfect so I wish you the best. Just keep in mind you will always be learning and not to get frustrated as getting really good at this may take some time. Be patient and don't be too hard on yourself if you make a mistake. It will come with time and practice.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Thank you for your help and words of advice, yeah i got really frustrated at times, im trying to make a nice intro with some nice text etc... but hey atleast i have a 30 second intro ! with some nice water in the background and a song i had on my pc. So im slowly but surely learning, i just need to figure out the layers and smooth transitions so its fun to watch and not like all over the place.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
yeah im still searching for some templates and ones i can just modify slightly cause some have very cool text and effects but with weird or music not to my liking, so i hope i can just swap things out easily without ruining the template. yeah your right im trying to avoid all possible cheesyness i just want a fun decent vacation movie maybe even with some nice pro transitions or effects that just make it all more enjoyable to watch without people saying what the all this garbage on this video lol, to avoid viewers confusion lol