New York Decides to Abandon "iPod Tax"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
As a New Yorker myself, I was furious when I heard about this. Patterson is trying to tax us to death, as if our taxes aren't high enough at the moment. You almost feel trapped to the point where anything you want to do, leisure or not, will be taxed greatly.
They Wonder why so many New Yorkers move from the state and head down south, but who can blame them? You can buy a house for half the price and twice the size as a place in New York.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
As a New Yorker myself, I was furious when I heard about this. Patterson has been trying to tax us to death for anything and everything, yet gives members of his office pay increases.

Who can blame all of the people who are moving from New York to the states down south? You can get a home down there for half the price yet twice the size.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
When will all forms of government learn that raising taxes is not an answer to balance budgets? Decrease spending and live within your means. That's the ticket to a balanced budget. If you have increase revenues you WILL have increased spending. That has always and will always be the case.

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Maybe they wouldnt be in such a disaster if they wouldnt have bought that new yankee stadium, that stadium came out of the new york city budget. nice?

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]AdamB5000[/nom]"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill[/citation]

That quote made me Lol, love it =).

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah that new Yankee Stadium is a rip off. And you know who foots the bills for the insane salaries the players make? New Yorkers.

We have no money to pay for a new stadium, yet we can pay A-roid 24 million a year. You want to come watch us play? Fork over the cash for the field.

G

You folks do know that NY is paying very little for the stadium, right? Here's a tip... when you generate bonds for a stadium it is not a gift, those need to be repaid by the Yankees to the city of NY. The key expense is the low/zero interest... that is a real, and not insignificant expense; but don't confuse it with the loons who think the Yankees are getting 800Mil for the stadium.

And NY'ers are not paying AROD's salary! It's not like your tax money is going there... if folks are outraged over the salaries, then they'll stop going to games and watching TV and listening on the radio. Must we create villains to ensure that NY'ers are victims.

Here's a tip - stop electing corrupt politicians. Stop electing Democrats who thinking spending is the way to fix things. Complain about giving 1.4Bil to the DUBAI and a company (Global Foundries) that is chartered in the Caman islands (to get beneficial tax treatment!) for creation of ~1400 jobs (essentially 1mil/job created).

Stop electing people who spend like drunken sailors and then you can complain about a baseball team.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]startingline13[/nom]As a New Yorker myself, I was furious when I heard about this. Patterson is trying to tax us to death, as if our taxes aren't high enough at the moment. You almost feel trapped to the point where anything you want to do, leisure or not, will be taxed greatly.They Wonder why so many New Yorkers move from the state and head down south, but who can blame them? You can buy a house for half the price and twice the size as a place in New York.[/citation]
try three times the size

I'm in texas our hosue costed us around 80,000 dollars and that was WITH 1.5 acres of land, my mom bought a trailer with 7.6 acres of land, with a pond on it (which she now rents out for 400/month) ,she paid 46,000 dollars for it. My neihbor's son works in new york and once told me he RENTS an apartment at 5,000/month. givien this fugure i imagine trher is no way in hell you could get a 7 acre plot with even a shack on it in NY for 46, thousand.
if youw ant to come down here and lvie you are welcome ! I wouldnt want to live in NY myself because of the cost.

P.S. keep in mine i live in the boonies, sounthern cities are a bit mroe expensive living than it is out here but i imagine still not as bad as up north cities.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]getaclue[/nom]You folks do know that NY is paying very little for the stadium, right? Here's a tip... when you generate bonds for a stadium it is not a gift, those need to be repaid by the Yankees to the city of NY. The key expense is the low/zero interest... that is a real, and not insignificant expense; but don't confuse it with the loons who think the Yankees are getting 800Mil for the stadium.And NY'ers are not paying AROD's salary! It's not like your tax money is going there... if folks are outraged over the salaries, then they'll stop going to games and watching TV and listening on the radio. Must we create villains to ensure that NY'ers are victims.Here's a tip - stop electing corrupt politicians. Stop electing Democrats who thinking spending is the way to fix things. Complain about giving 1.4Bil to the DUBAI and a company (Global Foundries) that is chartered in the Caman islands (to get beneficial tax treatment!) for creation of ~1400 jobs (essentially 1mil/job created).Stop electing people who spend like drunken sailors and then you can complain about a baseball team.[/citation]

hmmm it wasn't the democrats that wasted the largest fortune ever on a war with a small insignificant nation that was never really a threat to us. and then turned around and used the only resource generated by that war to line their own pockets with cash while only giving that countries people a small portion of that money.

G

Demonhorde - are you kidding me? Many Democrats are complaining that IRAQ is NOT FOOTING ENOUGH OF THE BILL FOR RECONSTRUCTION and should use more of the their (IRAQ's) oil money to pay... and you have us believe we are effectively stealing the resource from them? Please take off the tinfoil hat before you type.

The STATE DEMOCRATS have run NY into the ground, it has become merely a step on the ladder to run for higher office (Congress, Senate, Governor... president?)and they put their own interest above the residents... and thankfully have folks like you to muddy the issue by reverting a comment about STATE policymakers to FEDERAL spending on a war. It's about NY, mis-using NY STATE tax (NOT FEDERAL!) money. If the STATE officials learned how to spend within their means, especially given the absurd tax rate (sales and property), they wouldn't need to create more artificial tax streams. THIS IS A STATE, NOT FEDERAL ISSUE! If you want to rail about the war and federal politicians go to the KOS. This kind of comment is the typical, mix the issues... when you have no real argument to make.

The irony is with the clampdown on bonuses and salaries by the state (which is appropriate), NY will be one of the states hit hardest as given the financial presence in NY, one of the large tax streams has significantly been cut down.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]hmmm it wasn't the democrats that wasted the largest fortune ever on a war with a small insignificant nation that was never really a threat to us.[/citation]

You should go over the roll call for the vote that authorized the war in Congress. By the way your stating that fact, Im thinking you would be surprised at how many Democrats voted FOR the war. Our new VP is one of them.

Ronrico

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
“Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime … He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation … And now he is miscalculating America’s response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction … So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real…”
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003 | Source

“I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force — if necessary — to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security.”
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002 | Source

“One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line.”
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998 | Source

“If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction program.”
- President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998 | Source

“We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction.”
- Madeline Albright, Feb 1, 1998 | Source

“He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983.”
- Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998 | Source

“Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process.”
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998 | Source

“Hussein has … chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies.”
- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999 | Source

“We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country.”
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 | Source

“Iraq’s search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power.”
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 | Source

“We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction.”
- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002 | Source

“In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members … It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.”
- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002 | Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS