Newer TV, Old DVD/VCR; can't get them to work together!

AntiphosNox

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
Hi,

I have a DVD/VCR player and a TV that are not talking to each other. To be frank, I'm frustrated.

I have a Vizio E280-B1 28 inch 720p 60 Hz LED HDTV...back has a VGA port, a headphone jack, two HDMI ports, a USB port, a component hookup, and red and white ports for audio. This TV has NO yellow AV hookup.

The DVD/VCR has one HDMI port, two AV hookups, and a component hookup.

I can't get it to work. I bought a AV to HDMI jack to translate the data from VCR to TV. I hooked the AV cords into the VCR, fed them to the jack, hooked the HDMI to the other side, and...nothing. Not even the DVD player.

I've been looking at this so long I can't see the problem anymore. What the hey am I doing wrong?

Solution
If TV has HDMI and DVD player has HDMI, that's what you should use. That's the best possible connection between the 2, and it's one single cable for both video and audio to boost, can't be simpler than that.

The VCR portion may (or may not) require a secondary analog hookup and in this case Component, which is a 5 RCA cable thing. Consult the DVD player manual to be sure. Manual is Godspel.
If TV has HDMI and DVD player has HDMI, that's what you should use. That's the best possible connection between the 2, and it's one single cable for both video and audio to boost, can't be simpler than that.

The VCR portion may (or may not) require a secondary analog hookup and in this case Component, which is a 5 RCA cable thing. Consult the DVD player manual to be sure. Manual is Godspel.

Solution

AntiphosNox

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017

Thank you!

AntiphosNox

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
OK, so bought a component cord with the audio things attached. Got it home, plugged everything into the right holes. I've got DVD, at least, and the DVD/VCR machine does show up on the VCR settings I had on the TV. But it's like it's seeing it and nothing's happening. No audio, no video. All I've got is a waiting screen. I tried the VCR on the two channels; flicked it back and forth to see if it made a difference. Nothing. Sigh. What did I miss? I don't think plugging in a secondary audio video cord is going to make a difference here; the component one should carry the load.