NEX 3 & NEX 5: Sony Cameras With Lens Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]There is no need for a market between the two marketsAny camera with a mount for real lenses needs a viewfinder[/citation]
could use the LCD as a viewfinder. Is the image captured by the sensor. For someone that is not very inclined towards pro photography but still would love some flexibility in terms of lenses, this is his market.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
720p instead of 1080p
USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0
ISO sensitivity starts at a high 200
No viewfinder...
$1000.....
I don't think so :-(

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]could use the LCD as a viewfinder. Is the image captured by the sensor. For someone that is not very inclined towards pro photography but still would love some flexibility in terms of lenses, this is his market.[/citation]

When you get down to it, the reason is speed. I won't go into the technical reasons, but a camera will take pictures much faster if you are using a viewfinder versus the camera having to feed a real-time video feed to an LCD between shots.

As the professionals and "Prosumers" are scoffing at your comment (and I'll admit, I was thinking of doing the same), it kinda made me think. Would I buy this camera? Probably not, but if, let say, my mother wanted an easy to use camera that took DSLR quality pictures to take family portraits and pictures of landmarks while on vacation, this camera would be absolutely perfect for her. She's not going to need insane shutter response when a group of people are standing still saying "Cheeeeeeeeeese". She's not going to have to capture a butterfly just before it flies away. She's old, she can't move that fast!

The biggest problem for this camera seems to be price and that's too high because of overblown features. My mom doesn't need a 14mp sensor. Dumb it down a bit and knock a few hundred dollars off the price and this may be under the tree for her come December. I'll stick with my D90 for that price.

G

You guys who are saying No View Finder are forgetting one very important fact!

With SLR (film) cameras, you were viewing directly through the Lense via a Prism what you wanted to shoot.

With a DSLR You can't do this cause you are using a sensor, so instead, you have to replace the Prism and view finder with the LCD.

So in Effect, the LCD is your Viewfinder, only much better cause you get an exact view of what the image is going to look like. While using the old fashion lens/prism viewfinder setup, you actually see more than what you are shooting and have to remember that the frame trace in the view finder is going to be a rough estimate of your pictures.

The LCD setup is far superior anyhow to the old fashioned viewfinder cause it lets you see how your pictures came out right away so you can retake them if need be.

I know a few professional photographers whose pictures are in national and world wide magazines all the time and they have some very expensive DSLR cameras which cost anywhere from $5K to $12K each.

When I first met them, they were doing all their work with SLR cameras including some (I forget what they call them) old type cameras with the large film plates. Now they do the majority of their photography with the DSLR cameras cause it makes the work so much easier, even though the initial investment is very costly.

G

Renegade Warrior:

What? An SLR and DSLR function identically.

the mirror/prism assembly snaps up out of the way to let light hit the sensor just like it would hit the film. The viewfinder works the same.

G

I have an old super zoom camera with both a main LCD and a LCD viewfinder. I found the viewfinder very useful, especially when bright sunlight made using the main LCD panel almost impossible.

G

Now let's make a phone that can accept lenses like this at it's back!

jon1245

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Renegade_warrior:

"With a DSLR You can't do this cause you are using a sensor, so instead, you have to replace the Prism and view finder with the LCD."

Nope. An SLR is an SLR, whether it has a D in front of it or not. They both work the same way, both have mirror/prism.
(D)SLR cameras are typically bigger precisely for this reason.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Entry level DSLR kits cost less than that and obviously offer more flexibility in lenses and flexibility, look more official, and take better pictures.

Sony product planners must smoke a lot of crack... A lot.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
The real niche is more like the Canon S90. Small point n shoot without the lenses. If you're gonna get the lenses, might as well get a DSLR for cheaper.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]You guys who are saying No View Finder are forgetting one very important fact!With SLR (film) cameras, you were viewing directly through the Lense via a Prism what you wanted to shoot.With a DSLR You can't do this cause you are using a sensor, so instead, you have to replace the Prism and view finder with the LCD.So in Effect, the LCD is your Viewfinder, only much better cause you get an exact view of what the image is going to look like. While using the old fashion lens/prism viewfinder setup, you actually see more than what you are shooting and have to remember that the frame trace in the view finder is going to be a rough estimate of your pictures.The LCD setup is far superior anyhow to the old fashioned viewfinder cause it lets you see how your pictures came out right away so you can retake them if need be.I know a few professional photographers whose pictures are in national and world wide magazines all the time and they have some very expensive DSLR cameras which cost anywhere from $5K to $12K each.When I first met them, they were doing all their work with SLR cameras including some (I forget what they call them) old type cameras with the large film plates. Now they do the majority of their photography with the DSLR cameras cause it makes the work so much easier, even though the initial investment is very costly.[/citation]

First what are you talking about? My Dslr's have mirrors in them and thats how the viewfinder works. Also I dont care what anyone says until you get that lcd to work perfect in bright light I dont want to use it to take pictures. Also the biggest problem I see with point and shoots is that shutter has to be open longer for the smaller sensors, therefor you get blurry shots. The lens on that camera doesnt look like its big enough to compensate for that.

G

you all miss the point, this camera is geared squarely at the Olympus EP1 (and the very capable yet cheaper EPL1) market, they removed the prism to make the camera more compact thus the loss of the viewfinder, the sensor is still almost the same size as a compact DSLR and as such will take pictures that are very comparable yet be alot more portable, think of them as as modern range finders, you really can't compare standard point and shoot to these

the market potential for such camera is immense because we dont want to be lugging around a backpack to take casual pictures yet we dont want to have crappy pix cause we got some dude mini sensor stuck in our camera

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
yep, microfourthirds is right.
the small body camera called micro 4/3 is for the market of those who want DSLR like quality pictures without the size and weight of a DSLR since they're upgrading from point and shoot cameras.
i also don't like seeing people wearing DSLR's on their necks because of the size.

additionally, beginners don't use viewfinders.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I still can't find a compact point and shoot mega-zoom with RAW image capability... sacrifice the zoom and get the canon S90, sacrifice image quality for RAW capability and get casio EX-FH100... no other options, everything else is JPEG... Guess my only option is to wait till next year. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.