Next Amazon Tablet May Be Called Kindle Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]no edit in Tom's Guide....WTF?[/citation]

Since ever. They're allegedly "working on it".

I really don't understand about Amazon products. They're always more closed, less feature-rich, etc. than they competitors. Take Kindle, for example... Can someone explain what's so good about them? I'm just trying to understand; maybe I'm missing something?

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I really don't understand about Amazon products. They're always more closed, less feature-rich, etc. than they competitors. Take Kindle, for example... Can someone explain what's so good about them? I'm just trying to understand; maybe I'm missing something?[/citation]

it's tied to Amazon's service such as shopping, music, cloud storage, books, and video...

especially video since I don't know any other android devices can stream Amazon's new streaming videos...

also Amazon offers book lending service for Amazon Prime members...

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Since ever. They're allegedly "working on it".I really don't understand about Amazon products. They're always more closed, less feature-rich, etc. than they competitors. Take Kindle, for example... Can someone explain what's so good about them? I'm just trying to understand; maybe I'm missing something?[/citation]

$200 for a fully functional 7" tablet.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]p.s. no edit in Tom's Guide....WTF?[/citation]

There's a link at the beginning of the comments that says "read on the forums" or something like that. If you edit your post in the forums, that change is reflected in the comments.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]it's tied to Amazon's service such as shopping, music, cloud storage, books, and video...especially video since I don't know any other android devices can stream Amazon's new streaming videos...also Amazon offers book lending service for Amazon Prime members...[/citation]

Wow. What BS. So basically the whole appeal of Amazon products is being tied to their shopping services? ROFLMAO :lol: People are dumber than I thought. Thank you, I prefer to buy a device and load it up with content I ALREADY own on my PC.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]There's a link at the beginning of the comments that says "read on the forums" or something like that. If you edit your post in the forums, that change is reflected in the comments.[/citation]

No, that is not possible on Tom's Guide articles. You can read the comments on the forum, but no editing. Only articles from Tom's Hardware have that.

[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]and not all of Tom's places even have a comments section...[/citation]

That's Tom's Style or whatever it's called... articles there aren't even worth reading.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]And after the Ice, what next?[/citation]

That:

[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]and what's the NEXT NEXT model will be called?Kindle Steam?p.s. no edit in Tom's Guide....WTF?[/citation]

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]I've already bagged the domain names Kindle Jello, Kindle Jelly, and Kindle Knickerbockerglory.[/citation]

Oh look, we have a cybersquatter in our midst.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
lol, i think i'll buy the ice and the fire and then read "a song of ice and fire" switching between the two tablets. or maybe not.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Since ever. They're allegedly "working on it".I really don't understand about Amazon products. They're always more closed, less feature-rich, etc. than they competitors. Take Kindle, for example... Can someone explain what's so good about them? I'm just trying to understand; maybe I'm missing something?[/citation]
Well, as far as the basic Kindle goes, the e-ink they use is incredible. It honestly is like reading a book as far as quality goes. And because it only needs power when the screen is refreshed, you go literally weeks on a single charge.

Yes, it may not do everything a typical tablet can, but there is one thing I personally have discovered in my own experiences. Things that do a lot of things rarely do one thing very well. The point of the Kindle was to make e-books commonplace. I was relunctant to buy one at first and didn't get one till their ad supported ones came out, but I can't imagine not having it now.

So before you turn your nose up at something because it doesn't do a lot, take a look at something and see if what it does do, it does it well.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Well, as far as the basic Kindle goes, the e-ink they use is incredible. It honestly is like reading a book as far as quality goes. And because it only needs power when the screen is refreshed, you go literally weeks on a single charge.Yes, it may not do everything a typical tablet can, but there is one thing I personally have discovered in my own experiences. Things that do a lot of things rarely do one thing very well. The point of the Kindle was to make e-books commonplace. I was relunctant to buy one at first and didn't get one till their ad supported ones came out, but I can't imagine not having it now.So before you turn your nose up at something because it doesn't do a lot, take a look at something and see if what it does do, it does it well.[/citation]

Typical ignorance. Kindle was neither the first nor the best nor the most open e-book reader. And the point of ebook reader was to make ebooks FREE or very low priced, at least; Amazon sells them @ full price. I can get a nice hard cover edition for that price.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Well, as far as the basic Kindle goes, the e-ink they use is incredible. It honestly is like reading a book as far as quality goes. And because it only needs power when the screen is refreshed, you go literally weeks on a single charge.Yes, it may not do everything a typical tablet can, but there is one thing I personally have discovered in my own experiences. Things that do a lot of things rarely do one thing very well. The point of the Kindle was to make e-books commonplace. I was relunctant to buy one at first and didn't get one till their ad supported ones came out, but I can't imagine not having it now.So before you turn your nose up at something because it doesn't do a lot, take a look at something and see if what it does do, it does it well.[/citation]

Here is what I'm using. Can do everything Kindle can and doesn't restrict me in the slightest; and it is cheaper, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.