Nexus 7 2013 or Tegra Note 7

Awesomeguy2014

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
So I'm currently looking into both of these tablets and the nexus 7 just seems like a great all around tablet with a beautiful screen great for watching movies and it's cheap.But I want a tablet for emulating and the Tegra note 7 has a Tegra 4 while the nexus 7 has a snapdragon S4 pro with a 1200p screen resolution which means that it will require more resources to run games,while the Tegra note 7 only has a 900p screen resolution with 1GB of ram.Which one is better for gaming?

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

The Tegra platform has a better CPU but the Nexus 7 has a much higher resolution screen. The Tegra Note's screen is 1200 x 800 while the Nexus 7 is 1900 x 1200.

Plus the Tegra Note runs Android 4.3 where the Nexus 7 runs the new version of Android 4.4.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Not necessarily. The Nexus 7 is pretty much the standard for 7" Android tablets as it's made and designed to Google specifications. The Tegra 4 platform is a great platform but there's only a small difference in price between the EVGA Tegra Note and the Google Nexus 7, and hardware wise the specs on the Nexus 7 are far better than the Tegra Note. The only reason why you'd go with the Note is because of the handwriting feature, which is pretty similar to that of the Samsung Galaxy Note.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well if you could combine the Tegra 4 CPU with the Nexus 7 screen, that would be the ultimate.

blademaster123

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
For gaming, I would say the Tegra note 7. The nVidia Tegra 4 chipset is much faster then the S4 Pro, the S4 Pro in the N7 is actually an underclocked Snapdragon 600 . The 1GB won't be too detrimental towards the Tegra note's gaming peformance. Also the lower resolution is less demeaming on system resources. (1280x800 isn't too shabby, it looks kinda nice) However, One thing to note is that the S4 Pro supports OpenGLES 3.0 whilst the Tegra 4 only supports OpenGLES 2.0 or less. Also if the screen quality is really important then you can choose the Nexus 7, the Nexus 7 isn't bad by any means at gaming, I believe it can play Asphalt 8 (quite a demanding game) at the highest settings, and will still probably game well for another year or two. The Nexus 7 also has a larger developer community, this can further enhance the performance of the Nexus 7 2013 as the developers add their own optimizations. The 2GB of RAM is good for multitasking as well and having more apps in the background.

aspleme

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

I'd have to argue with this point. Nvidia works more with developers and this results in optimizations for it's Tegra platform than the Snapdragon processors. Don't get me wrong, Snapdragons are great chips, but there are less apps with Snapdragon exclusive features than there are with Tegra exclusives.

The Nexus 7 (2013) edition has a better screen, better build quality, and I believe better battery life. The Tegra Note 7 has more graphics prowess, better audio, and more exclusive features and games. Yes, it is a little bit behind the android curve when compared to the Nexus... But if you look at app reviews, people are far more likely to run into issues with apps when running the latest version of android that developers haven't had a chance to optimize their app for. I used the first generation Kindle Fire, and considering that the Tegra Note 7 is better, although inferior to my current 1080p phone, I think I would be content. I think the speakers and other improvements are worth the trade-offs. If Amazon would place an app for streaming videos in the Google App store, I would buy the Note 7 today. Since they haven't, I'm still waiting and debating a Fire HDX, while knowing I won't actually get one.

blademaster123

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Aaah, You are talking about game developers and I definitely agree with your points, however I was referring to custom ROM developers (e.g. on XDA Developers), and since the Nexus 7 2013 is a Nexus, it tends to be hugely popular with the developers on there, for example I had the Nexus 7 2012, and the Paranoid Android ROM was just awesome, I especially loved the Halo feature But like you said, the Tegra platform does get some exclusive games and effects that other chips do not get.

Solution

Kyle M

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

That extra gig amountss to just a little extra memory as a lot of it is eaten up by framebuffer for the 1920 x 1200 screen