hawkeye1

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I have the D70 with a 1 gig memory card that is approx. 50% full. I have downloaded images to my computer periodically. Last week, the "FOR" indicater appeared in the display window. I turned the camera off and on, and it seemed to correct itself. It has now reappeared, and I am instructed to format the memory card. I don't want to lose some of the images on the card. Anybody have any experience on what may be causing the prob and could suggest some options, other than a card reader?

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Judging by the date posted, this may no longer be an issue for you but I would suggest that you copy the current photos on the card to your computer and then format the card in the camera. Depending on how you normally download your pictures there could be various causes for an apparent corruption of the current format on the card. I personally use a dedicated Sandisk CF reader rather than using the extremely slow camera USB interface.

If you are running into problems accessing photos currently on the card, then I would suggest using a photo recovery program such as the one at this link
http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2
It works very well, I recovered photos from a card which I had formatted a couple of times since the photos were taken. One thing to watch for, it sometimes recovers .nef files as .tif, just rename the files and they work fine.

D70 with various toys including an excellent old f2.8 80-200mm