Nintendo Wii U Might Not be Support Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Oh, that's a relief.

I thought the hardware to be used in the Wii U was going to be positively ancient; now we know that the card used inside was the top solution only 4 years ago (i.e. a 4870 equivalent).

At least the graphics will be actually passable this time; as you can still run quite a bit of things on that card (yes, even Crysis at 1920 x 1080 at 30-40 FPS, which is what most Wii games run at to begin with)- though it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rangas[/nom]well, games are not just about the graphics anyways[/citation]
But graphics, AI, and others are huge parts of games.

There is obviously a problem when the best shooters (one genre) on your platform (Wii, MoH2, Conduit, Conduit 2) would have been "average" (ie bad) games on the PS360.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but outside of their core games, there is a fairly obvious quality gap between the games on their platform and the PS360/PC.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]rangas[/nom]well, games are not just about the graphics anyways[/citation]

Games run on engines. Not supporting an engine means not supporting the games on that engine. Its not about good vs bad graphics now, its about titles vs no titles.

yapchagi

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]they already used that line when the wii came out[/citation]

nicely said. Look where they are right now with Wii. No one bothers getting it simply because the quality of the games are nothing compared with 360/PS3.

Nintendo Wii...Graphics = low, Sound Quality = Medium.
XBOX 360/PS3 ... Graphics = Medium, sound quality = High.
PC...Graphics = Ultra, sound quality = Ultra.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

Okay, Grammatical errors aside, this is like if i wrote an article for national geographic titled "Evolution Might Not be a Theory"

Seriously.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Nintendo is in for a rough ride this time around, they were able to pull it off last gen because the Wii was different and unique and a lot cheaper but now that the novelty of it has worn off I don't know if they can survive.

They do have there hard core fans.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Oh, that's a relief. I thought the hardware to be used in the Wii U was going to be positively ancient; now we know that the card used inside was the top solution only 4 years ago (i.e. a 4870 equivalent).At least the graphics will be actually passable this time; as you can still run quite a bit of things on that card (yes, even Crysis at 1920 x 1080 at 30-40 FPS, which is what most Wii games run at to begin with)- though it's getting a bit long in the tooth.[/citation]

It is supposed to support DX11 so its a bit better than the HD4870.

That said, the funny thing is that the PS4/X720 are supposed to support the UE4 engine yet current PC hardware cannot unless you have a GTX680, or possibly a HD7970. Yet the rumor for the PS4/X720 are as well HD6770 so how will they be able to support something that only a GTX680 (confirmed anyways, nothing else has been) has been confirmed to support and makes a HD6770 look like a HD5450?

I think its all talk from Tim Sweeny anyways. He thinks that when you look at high quality games you look at consoles (PS3/360). Yep.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
wii U will be fine it's estetic graphics and gameplay are the only one to actualy feel like a console. ps3 and xbox are simply old crappy pcs you pay alot more for for each game, at least it's how i feel.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I haven't been able to get excited over a console(and it's games) since the ps2/n64 days......
My Wii, PS3, and Xbox only pull netflix and occasional ps2 emulation duty now... My kids don't even want me to buy them games for these machines now, which is prolly good and keeps their noses in the books....

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]It is supposed to support DX11 so its a bit better than the HD4870.That said, the funny thing is that the PS4/X720 are supposed to support the UE4 engine yet current PC hardware cannot unless you have a GTX680, or possibly a HD7970. Yet the rumor for the PS4/X720 are as well HD6770 so how will they be able to support something that only a GTX680 (confirmed anyways, nothing else has been) has been confirmed to support and makes a HD6770 look like a HD5450?I think its all talk from Tim Sweeny anyways. He thinks that when you look at high quality games you look at consoles (PS3/360). Yep.[/citation]

but in the early shows and press conferences they spoke of well intregrated grapics to fitt almost eny machine down to phones or did they scrapp the idea? cuss 680 is more or less max settings.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Oh, that's a relief. I thought the hardware to be used in the Wii U was going to be positively ancient; now we know that the card used inside was the top solution only 4 years ago (i.e. a 4870 equivalent).At least the graphics will be actually passable this time; as you can still run quite a bit of things on that card (yes, even Crysis at 1920 x 1080 at 30-40 FPS, which is what most Wii games run at to begin with)- though it's getting a bit long in the tooth.[/citation]

i have a 5770, and it can run everything i throw at it at 1920x1200 granted with reduced shadows, and i never use aa if given the choice (i see no need at that resolution for it) if the engine is properly coded at 60fps with 30fps being a bare minimum... and with console exclusive it can get more power out of the cards...

that said, i want to know why unreal engine 4, with how pathetic it looks (discount all the physics crap) would require such high amounts of power to run. is it a codeing abortion, is it nvidia physx tied deaply to it, or did they botom up their own physics engine?

if the bottom upped their own... they get respect for that, if they didnt... i hope noone uses it.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Yes, but has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Status
Not open for further replies.