No 5.1 output from Netflix using Sony Bravia ARC enabled TV with Yamaha RX-V379 receiver

Amarvir

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Issue:
I am using a Sony Bravia ARC enabled TV with a Yamaha RX-V379 AV receiver set. I am not getting 5.1 channel output from Netflix movies that are other wise rated at 5.1 output. I am getting a 2.1 output with both left and right speakers working alongwith the subwoofer. The surround and centre are not working.

Solutions tried
(i) I have tried connections with both optical cables as well as with HDMI, but to no avail.

(ii) Tone testing indicates that all the speakers work and are connected properly

(iii) I am also being able to control the audio with the TV remote, indicating that HDMI control is working. Have also tried various audio input options under the ARC settings.

Solution
Thank you everyone for reading and trying to help. After a lot of fiddling the solution turned out to in the sound settings of the TV. Under Settings->Sound Settings->Dual there are three options viz. (i) Stereo, (ii) Main and (iii) Subwoofer. My TV was set to stereo. Changing it to main brought the surround and center speakers back into play. These options are also accessible using the "Audio" button on the Bravia remote.

Amarvir

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Thank you for your answer, but I have put in the optical cable and tried the audio option. The manual says that the HDMI 2 port is ARC 5.1 channel. Could it be that Sony has designed its TV to work only with Sony AVRs?

Amarvir

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Thank you everyone for reading and trying to help. After a lot of fiddling the solution turned out to in the sound settings of the TV. Under Settings->Sound Settings->Dual there are three options viz. (i) Stereo, (ii) Main and (iii) Subwoofer. My TV was set to stereo. Changing it to main brought the surround and center speakers back into play. These options are also accessible using the "Audio" button on the Bravia remote.

Solution