No Access To BIOS after INSPIRON N5010 A15 update??

sam1x

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014
I upgraded my BIOS to A15 as recommended by Dell. I found out that it has password protected setup but I don't remember having set a password. When does it ask for that? Was it before flashing? Or, did the BIOS come prelocked.

I need to access my BIOS but I cannot flash it coz it won't permit flashing to "older BIOS" nor to the "same BIOS" and there is no newer.

Did I forget my password or did Dell f**k me? Is there anything I can do? Is there something like a master password or something? Can Dell send me a password?

I have an express code and service tag but I bought it off local market and only thing to prove the machine is mine that i have is a bill of purchase. And, I am already out of warranty!!

What can be done? Any suggestions/help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Contact Dell. That is your only recourse, no one here is gonna assist you bypassing any password for any reason. No way to prove you own it. And also for future reference, passwords dont set themselves. Nor would a BIOS from Dell contain a password locking you out of your BIOS. LOL.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

You probably purchased a second had laptop previously owned by a company who set the bios access password
Luckily the user start up password was not set

If you contact Dell and laptop is not on a stolen list they can recommend some one to clear the password for you

There is a dealer only bootable cd which can deal with most password protected Dell laptops
But not if the hard disk password is set
That requires a ATA low level erase to clear the password or a new hard disk

due to forum rules we are not permitted to tell you how to erase or find the password. Many so called bios cracking password generatorswill put malware on your PC

Are you sure you actually succeeded in upgrading the bios as the master password usually
blocks bios upgrades
bios upgrade may not be needed except when upgrading from XP to vista or 7
Or for a modern ram upgrade , or CPU upgrade which is unlikely with a laptop

I am sure the N5010 comes with windows 7
If you have not done so yet make a set of windows recovery DVDs
I used them to remove a Chinese language upgrade previously carried out to one

Regards
Mike Barnes

BuksCronje

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

just as a matter of interest. I have set a password on my. The bios confirmed it by me having to type the password twice. Its a simple 32512. Restarted - INVALID PASSWORD. Call the Support team at Dell. The answer, your board is out of warranty (N5010) you got to buy a new board. No we cant give you a master password. Not even the slightest question of validating ownership. NONE., Pathetic is all I can say.

obsoltaj

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
They let us do this in some laptops anymore, we can't reset from hardware easly and codes from support don't work, they just suggest to replace perfectly good motherboard for no damm reason. So they can make business and refurbish our old ones.

obsoltaj

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Perhaps you should know better, yes most dell laptops do lock out after bios reset to default settings. and thee only thing they say is to replace perfectly good motherboard for no damm reason. So they can make business and refurbish our old ones.