Question No audio from new VSX-532 receiver

Mar 16, 2019
Hi guys,

Last week I purchased a polk home theatre system, and a pioneer receiver.

I've set everything up with both new and older speaker wire, and despite checking and rechecking the connections of the wires, no sound is being played at all.

I've checked that the HDMI cables are plugged into the ARC section of the TV, and I'm pretty sure the unit is not defective, but I suppose that's possible.

Does anyone have any idea for what could be causing this problem? I wondered if the the older wires could be an issue, but then I thought sound should at least be audible from the speakers that use the new wires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you get sound when the receiver was set up and noise was sent to each speaker? Do you get sound from the FM radio or any other source built into or connected directly to the receiver?
Did you turn ARC on in the TV menu. You may also have to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio to Bitstream.
You may have to assign ARC to an input name in the receiver set up menu too.

Mar 16, 2019
Hey americanaudiophile,

Thanks for your reply, I currently hear no sound from any setting, including radio.

• ARC is activated and is set as the audio output
  • bitstream is also selected
  • I didn't think I needed more than an HDMI cable for audio, but to test I bought an audio optical cable to see if that would help get sound going, but no dice with using that either.

For the last part about assigning ARC, what does that entail exactly? I didn't see that option in the receiver menu, but rather just to turn it on or off.

I should note that when attempting to configure the speakers, the results are as follows:

FRONT: ERR
CENTER: NO
SUB: NO
SURR: NO

I've checked and rechecked the connections to all of those speakers, so I don't quite know the reason for that error message.