No audio from Samsung UN60KS8000 to Onkyo TX-NR709

3nn10

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hello and happy holidays!

I recently purchased a new TV, the Samsung KS8000. I've been using the Onkyo TX-NR709 for about 5 years with my last TV with no issues.

The Samsung has the "one connect" box, which has HDMI ports and an optical out port.

So far I have tried every combination of connection I could think of. I have an Xbox 1-S, which was a big reason for the TV upgrade, which I would love to have playing sound through my receiver!

I've tried having the main (ARC) HDMI port from the receiver going to the oneconnect box. The TV recognized a hometheater but does not make the sound GO, passthrough? Either way, no sound unless I turn on the TV speaker. I have tried this setup with optical audio, setting the TV out to optical, and still no sound.

I've tried assigning a random option like BD/DVD to optical 2, and JUST plugging optical from TV to receiver. Still no sound.

I know my optical cable works, tested with computer and its good. All the HDMI cables I've used are the highspeed Amazon cables (rated for ARC/4k).

I did get my Xbox 1 to play sound out of the receiver if I go direct optical from xbox to receiver...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Is my receiver just too old for the new hotness TVs? I miss my surround sound!!

Thanks all!

Solution
So I messed around with the optical out advanced options and changed it to DTS; that seems to work! I have all the video going to the oneconnect and 1 optical going from oneconnect to the receiver. Yay!

3nn10

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
So I messed around with the optical out advanced options and changed it to DTS; that seems to work! I have all the video going to the oneconnect and 1 optical going from oneconnect to the receiver. Yay!

Solution