No audio when connecting Optoma ML750 to Onkyo HT-R393 AV Receiver

TomNugent

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Hi everyone,
So I've got a bit of a strange problem. I've got a mini projector with no audio-out port. The original cable Called "Universal I/O" had a audio out in the cable but as it never worked I've been using HDMI.

Now if I plug the projector to a laptop/mac it's fine- the audio automatically plays through the laptop speakers (or external speakers if I plug them in).

Also, when I connect the projector to my AV receiver (as the video output), and play a film through the xbox/dvd player/chromecast attached to the receiver, there's no problem.

BUT, what I want is to connect the projector to the receiver (via HDMI- it's the only possibility), and plug a usb into the projector (the receiver only supports audio on the usb plugged directly to receiver). When I do this, it plays the video just fine but the audio plays through the projector speakers.

I've tried (that I can think of) EVERYTHING but I can't get the audio to play through the AV receiver. I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the projector. Of course I've been an idiot:

1) buying one without dedicated audio out port (I just supposed it had it...I mean what kind of projector-and it wasn't cheap- doesn't have audio out?!)

2) not returning the projector when the original cable failed (one of the connections was bent and I figured "oh well, it's got HDMI....". Hadn't realised i'd of corse need it for the audio out...)

Of course I can still watch movies, but have to rely on Chromecast, which doesn't always work perfectly, and it means having my laptop on all the time- it gets hot etc.

Can anyone think of a way to connect USB- Optoma projector-Onkyo AV receiver, and play video through projector, and audio through receiver?

Thanks in advance for any comments/tips...

Tom

Solution
Most projectors don't have audio outputs. Ones that do often won't output audio from the HDMI connection since they would have to process and convert the digital audio to analog audio. Long cables would be required in most cases too.
Only way I can see is to use a media box with a USB connection and HDMI out feeding the receiver. Any android box, Apple TV, mini PC would work if you don't want to use your laptop.
Most projectors don't have audio outputs. Ones that do often won't output audio from the HDMI connection since they would have to process and convert the digital audio to analog audio. Long cables would be required in most cases too.
Only way I can see is to use a media box with a USB connection and HDMI out feeding the receiver. Any android box, Apple TV, mini PC would work if you don't want to use your laptop.

Solution

TomNugent

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Hi americanaudiophile,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I had "feared" that was the case. To be honest I had assumed I'd simply be able to plug the usb into the AV receiver and play video files, but for some unknown (to me) reason it only handles audio. Anyway, thanks a lot- I'll look into getting a mini PC. For the time being I'm using my Xbox 360, although that brings its own problems (it's bought second hand and won't connect to xbox live, or play certain file types without an update that I cannot install). Aaahh you've got to love technology!

Thanks again!