No backlight even after inverter swapped and LCD tested externally

Shocker-z

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hi All,

I've got a laptop which i brought cheap off someone as the screen isn't lighting up.. I thought mediately that the issue would be the inverter, so i brought a new inverter and swapped it out, but still the screen doesn't light up. So i looked at one of my other laptops and found that it had the same screen, tested on broken laptop and still no light, tested broken laptop screen on working laptop and worked perfectly.

I've checked the display output FN key as well as display brightness and the system totally boots up on screen but with no back light, external monitor works perfect.

Any idea's on what to test next? and it does this straight from boot.

[edit] It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-1DZ[/edit] 

Regards and thanks
Liam

LCDCable.jpg

Shocker-z

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hi,

But there is power to the inverter and I'm guessing inverter is outputting power as it's been replaced.. wouldn't the screen light up even if ribbon was damaged as the inverter is separate?

Liam

Shocker-z

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Thanks, I'll check the cable connection into the mobo for a starter.

The screen does show the image, just no backlight at all.. very weird.. Brought it for £50 so even if i cant get it up and working as an upgrade for my dad, i can still sell screen and the rest for a profit..

Liam

Shocker-z

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Hi,

It does it from POST and in BIOS so not a windows settings issue unfortunately :-(

Liam

tich 69

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Got a similar problem. No display on Toshiba P500-1DZ so changed changed screen for a new one, new inverter and new screen ribbon cable. Still no display as such. Back light is on but on initial screen the word "windows" is broken up and kind of smeared to the right. The screen then goes black. I have hooked it up to an external screen and that works fine. I have downloaded all relivent drivers from Toshiba. Any ideas guys????