No boot device found with new SSD

TheRockIng

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014
Hey guys, so my HDD has been failing for a while now. I have an Inspiron 15" 5000 from 2014- 2015. I bought a 300gb SSD and decided to replace the good ol' HDD. The hdd only puts up the Dell screen and goes black ( with the back light still lit up).

As context, I screwed up my computer trying to "reset it" over and over again and re booting mid reset because it was always stuck at 29% and at some point, well, I guess I broke it. So I decided to order an SSD, however it says no bootable device found and I don't see the dell screen whatsoever so no access to BIOS, is this normal or what?

Solution

You seem to have some sort of Upgrade thing, rather than a full standalone install.
Whatever you have wants to be installed from a currently running OS.

So, what do you actually have and where did it come from?
What OS is it?

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there TheRockIng,

Is the SSD recognized by BIOS?

I believe you get that message as the SSD is not bootable.
Do you have an OS CD or flash drive. You will need to boot from it so you can install OS. Alternatively, you will need to contact the manufacturer and ask them on that. (OS/recovery CD)

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

TheRockIng

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014
Hey Iman trying to reinstall windows but I'm getting this error if I chose custom : 0x80070570 and when I try to do the automatic install I get this error : the computer started using the windows installation media . Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows start normally. Then insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. Do not select I custom to perform upgrade. ...... I'm using Windows 10 education

USAFRet

Illustrious

You seem to have some sort of Upgrade thing, rather than a full standalone install.
Whatever you have wants to be installed from a currently running OS.

So, what do you actually have and where did it come from?
What OS is it?

Solution