No bootable device in UEFI, but Windows 10 boots perfectly fine using legacy BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackinvain

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
Earlier today I cleaned my drive 0 to do a clean install of Windows 10 using a USB drive; however, in order to do so I needed to change UEFI to Legacy in the boot menu and put USB HDD(?) at the top of the boot priority list. After installation, it worked.

The problem is, after a few restarts, I tried to change back to using UEFI for faster start-ups, but everytime I change back, it says "No bootable device" with the hard drive image above it. Everything works on legacy BIOS, though.

Any help is appreciated, but I would prefer if the explanations could be simplified as much as possible since I'm no tech savvy haha.

Some info:
System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Thank you!

chapmaned24

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

I am having the same exact problem. All of the recommendations that I am seeing online are all from novices that don't know any more than I do. They are all recommending that you switch your bios to "legacy" and it solves the problem. But no, it doesn't solve the problem. It's only a band-aid to work around.

hang-the-9 tells us what we can't do, but fails to tell us what we can do. I'm at a loss. Where are the experts that have answers?

Answer is "don't change drive setting after Windows is installed or you need to do a clean Windows setup again on the new setting". Change drive options to what they were and Windows will boot again.

There are some work arounds that you can try http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation but they deal with ATA vs AHCI mode and not UEFI vs Legacy. For that there is a post here they may help http://superuser.com/questions/389971/how-to-move-an-existing-installation-of-window-7-64bit-to-uefi-from-legacy

chapmaned24

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

chapmaned24

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
I never changed the drive settings "after" Windows was installed. I did a clean install, but before I could do the install, I had no choice but to change the bios to "Legacy". No choice. Again, no choice. It would not do the install using UEFI at all.

So, after install, "then what?". I search and search the web over again. There are absolutely no coherent instructions, or steps in the proper clean install of Windows 10 when dealing with the Bios, except to tell us to switch the Bios from UEFI to Legacy, but absolutely no instructions after that, to get it back to UEFI. I will check out the links that you provided, but this is a problem that everyone who does a clean install of Windows 10 is encountering, and the best that people can tell us is to do "another", let me emphasize that again, "another" clean install. Another? This is a bit frustrating. The Windows 10 Install Disk should do all that is required, without human interaction, IMHO.

Thanks

Ed Chapman

lowves

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Hi,

All depends on on the Windows 10 installation drive (CD or USB). If you have created that drive in "Legacy" you won't have any other option then to change the BIOS settings to reflect this (Legacy or UEFI).

What I would suggest is to recreate once again your Windows 10 drive with UEFI boot options, you can find how to create such drive on the web also (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html).

doing such will allow you to install Win 10 with the UEFi options you previously had.

Status
Not open for further replies.