No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Status
Not open for further replies.

evertbh2

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
Short story: I was angry while using my laptop, and out of frustration, I hit it. Big mistake as the screen froze and I could not do anything. I powered it off, and once I turned it back on, "no bootable device -- insert book disk and press any key," appeared, I have tried taking the battery out, taking the hard drive out, replacing the hard drive, and I've even changed the boot mode to Legacy.

I am not sure what may be wrong, I'm not a computer expert at all. It is an ACER laptop. If possible, please describe things in simple terms so a novice like I may be able to understand.

If anyone knows what's wrong exactly, if you may, please, tell me how to fix it. Thank you.

thienpro147258

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Hi, not sure this will help but i went through the same problem.
I'm not sure if it's gonna work for you, but this worked for me so i shared it to you :)

Now, you first need to take off the HDD (this could void your warranty - not sure ) and start the Laptop to see if the error code has changed, mine changed to "No bootable device -- Please restart system" that means my HDD is working so i can process into further solution. if it stays the same code then it could mean that your frustration cost you a new HDD.

2nd : now, put the HDD back on and restart the laptop by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del, then constantly press the F2 multiple times to enter the BIOS settings, if the BIOS setting come on, you will need to change the boot mode to UEFI, if it doesn't come on and show you the same error, go to step 3

3rd : in case the BIOS didn't show up, this is what i did : unplug the power cord, remove the battery, and then try to locate a motherboard battery ( it looks like a car key battery ) remove it by pressing on the metal pin that holds the battery using a small flat head screwdriver. once you removed it, let the laptop sits for about 10 mins then plug in the power cord and try to power the laptop on again. this time it should bring you to the BIOS menu :)

Status
Not open for further replies.