No CMOS Battery From Toshiba?

mcinator

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite C55-b5300 and after resetting the rtc time removed the battery to install more memory only to find that on startup the boot required the rtc clock to be reset. I went back and disassembled the bottom to find the CMOS battery and there was NONE! So what's that all about? Is there any way to install a battery or do I have to rely on the system battery? It appears Toshiba for some unknown reason decided not to install a battery into this model. Is this so or have I purchased a defective laptop computer?

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
You did not purchase a defective laptop, it's supposed to be this way. That particular model (several others as well) has no separate CMOS battery. It relies on the laptop's battery, which, when removed, will clear CMOS.

From what I can gather on the internet, the laptop does not have a CMOS battery. Instead it relies on the main battery. I guess Toshiba decided to save a buck. It guess that means you need to remove the main battery to reset the RTC clock.