No desktop at all, the start menu, taskbar, and task tray all gone

kenbarber

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
my son's notebook boots with no desttop at all, the start menu, taskbar, and task tray all gone. there is nothing except the wall paper. he can cntl.alt, delete get a task manager and run some programs that do not require the internet using the task manager. that is totally all there is.
i am not sure what to try. oh, windows XP i think sp1 but maybe sp3.

sakotius

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Sounds like explorer.exe has gone haywire. Go into the task manager and go to the process section. Click file->New Task(run) then type in explorer.exe and report back what happens. If there is an error then reply the EXACT error back here

kenbarber

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
error:

"windows can not find explorer.exe make sure you type the name correctly then try again. to search for a file, click the start button, then click search."

but we do not have a start button.

sakotius

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Hmm according to your computer one of the most important files is missing. You may ned to re-install windows. But don't do that just yet. I am going to point you to this http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/explorer-exe-missing-t86202.html

Tell me if anything progresses

kenbarber

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
thx, i'll let you know what happens.

i have the original software cd, but the cd drive was broken as we were trying to get ready to re-install windows. how he managed that i am not sure.