Solved! No Display on HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-Ab292nr, Three Long Caps Lock Blinks, Two Short

Feb 6, 2019
My laptop turns on but has no display and gives the error code indicated in the title. I tried a hard reset, reseating the memory module, connecting an external display, and the whole Windows plus B startup key press, all to no avail. The code seems to indicate the memory is bad (according to HP's site), but I have no compatible RAM on hand to test. My question is, before I buy a new stick of memory, is this 100% the problem? How accurate are these error codes? I would hate to buy it only to find out the entire motherboard needs to be replaced or something. And is there anything else I could try?

Solution
My laptop turns on but has no display and gives the error code indicated in the title. I tried a hard reset, reseating the memory module, connecting an external display, and the whole Windows plus B startup key press, all to no avail. The code seems to indicate the memory is bad (according to HP's site), but I have no compatible RAM on hand to test. My question is, before I buy a new stick of memory, is this 100% the problem? How accurate are these error codes? I would hate to buy it only to find out the entire motherboard needs to be replaced or something. And is there anything else I could try?

Without first trying other RAM there is no way to know if it is the RAM. It may also be the RAM slots, but without trying different...

Without first trying other RAM there is no way to know if it is the RAM. It may also be the RAM slots, but without trying different RAM you will now be replacing the motherboard, which would you rather try first? You may not need "new" RAM, you can find used stuff all over the place, craigslist, computer shop. Heck you can even bring your system into a computer shop and they may do a test for you for $10 or something to see if it's bad RAM, only take a few minutes of time and they would have spare RAM around they would gladly sell you if it is the RAM.

Solution