No display or error codes, but laptop is clearly booting

werberman

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
Hey all, I have in my possession a Samsung 550p7c laptop. It seems unable to display anything on any outputs (including the built-in display, HDMI, and VGA outputs), but is clearly booting, as the HDD spins up and is used intermittently, and the optical drive seems to work fine. What puzzles me is that there are no beep codes, no flashing lights, and no posts that I can find that would indicate this has been a problem for anyone else. I'm assuming the motherboard is shot (I've taken it apart and examined it), but there is no apparent damage.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like a motherboard issue to me. If it was just the display ribbon cable, the external ports would likely still work. I've used many laptops as "desktop" computers, when the main display failed. If it was a GPU failure, you should have a beep or visual led code to indicate the failure.

I'm assuming there is no display of any kind, not even during post nor for access to the bios?

Lan Oab

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015

Lan Oab

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
check NEC TOKEN if there is any and if you don't have the same value .try to replace it with 4pcs 330uf .2.5 volts 2pcs each side slanting if its too big to be solder .check if you see it little
burned or try it to replace the same type.

Can you offer a better explanation of what you're talking about. I am very familiar with hardware and software systems and have no idea what you're talking about at it relates to the issue at hand. This person has little familiarity with basic troubleshooting and you want them to start soldering components on the motherboard? Really?

AaronB75

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015
There are 2 things you should check:
1. Make sure your speakers are on first and then turn the computer on. If you can hear your computer starting (Windows startup sound or whatever noise Macs make) then it's most likely your video card A.K.A. graphics card.
2. If there is no sound, then it is probably your hard drive. The computers operating system is stored on the hard drive. Therefore, if the hard drive has died, then essentially your computer has no way of loading anything.

P.S. It would help if you named the specs of your computer like operating system, model, brand, any customization you might have done to it.

werberman

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014

Ya, lost me, too, and I'm also extremely familiar with hardware and software systems XD
In the end I replaced the motherboard completely and the issue is STILL THERE. Which is incredibly strange given that the video controller and outputs are all ON the motherboard... Honestly stumped on this one.