No Lights on Laptop and Doesn't Do Anything When Power Button is Pressed

rtey31

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
I have a Toshiba P50-A that I took apart to dust off the cooler and replace the thermal paste on. Now there's no lights turning on on it, even when plugged in, and it does nothing when the power button is pressed.

Things I've tried:

1. Reseating RAM
2. Taking out battery and power and holding down power button for 2 minutes, then reconnecting power and trying to boot.

Any ideas?

mrjack2207

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Usually replacing the thermal paste on a laptop is a bad idea, its possible you might of done something during it

rtey31

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

Done something like what?

rtey31

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

I've checked all the cables three times now. The only cable I disconnected was the CPU fan cable and I reconnected it.

In order to remove the cooler to reapply thermal paste (not sure what poor advice compelled you to do that), you had to have removed quite a few things which means you could have knocked any of the ribbon or other cables slightly loose.

You are going to need to re-disassemble it and check each and every cable to make sure it did not come loose.

rtey31

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

I've had this reply several times now, I've checked all of the cables. The CPU cooler assembly is completely separate from the rest of the system and all of the connectors fit so tightly it would be hard for one of them to come loose anyways.

I understand that the cooler is seperate.

The thing is, is that to get to access the cooler you had to have removed the entire cover, and thus disconnected the touchpad, the keyboard and other things.
Thus it is very easy to, in the process of removing the cover, to knock any other cable loose.

Thus you need to check all the cables.

We are telling you this, not because we are just pointing fingers with no idea what we are talking about, but because we have worked on many laptops and have had the EXACT same problem happen to us.

rtey31

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

First and foremost, sorry if I came across as rude. I'm just annoyed at myself.

This particular laptop doesn't need to have the keyboard or trackpad removed to access the components. The only things I removed were the back panel, cpu cooler, and I disconnected the cpu cooler cable. See this video.

I'm thinking I somehow shorted the motherboard, as everything else seems fine. I grounded myself every few minutes though, so I don't know how that could've happened.

Just the force and everything required from removing the primary cover is enough to knock some of those cables loose, there is very little force/friction holding them in place.

If you had battery removed and AC plug removed then odds are you did not did not short anything, even more so if you were on ESD mat or using wrist strap.

rtey31

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

I used a grounded PSU to ground myself.

None of the connectors I see are easily removable, quite a bit of force is needed to remove the cables. All of them I can see are firmly in place, and they're in all the way. Imgur

I'm really frustrated, I think I'll have to take this to a repair shop.