no number lock key, but number lock seems to have turned off???

patiofrog

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
ASUS Model G74S laptop, 4 yrs old, number lock somehow turned off, no number lock key. This has never been an issue in 4 years. Now I can't use the keypad for typing numbers anymore. Before, it had always been just numerical keys and worked as such. Have seperate keys for moving around the page. Now the number keys do this but type no numbers, this is extremely frustrating. Does anyone know how to fix this?

patiofrog

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
thank you for this help. it seems that some people have a model like mine with no number lock key, and others have the number lock key. the ones without a number lock key have a calculator in it's place. I called ASUS support and found out that in order to turn the number lock back on, I needed to use an external keyboard, turn the number lock on on that, and it would then turn my own system's back on. the thing was, I needed to also hit the fn (function) key at the same time. the external keyboard did not have an fn key. after playing with it, I found the control key worked to turn the number lock on, and in turn finally turned the number lock on on my computer. after unplugging the external keyboard, it still worked, thankfully so. so if anyone else has this problem, they can try this solution. thank you for the bios info. I will save that for future use, especially if this happens again. this computer is awesome, it has the old windows 7 which I like. I have a newer computer with windows 8 which I hate and won't use. I'll use this computer until it dies just to not have to upgrade to that stinky new windows edition(s) that don't allow me to use my desktop page in the same way, or to play a game of solitaire without losing the page I'm waiting to load. I don't want to toggle, I want both screens shrunk and showing at the same time. can't do that that way with the new windows 8 or 10. and you can't get a decent game unless you log onto internet for it. don't want to do that, I'm just using the game as a time killer so as to not sit here and drum my fingers waiting for those multi pages to load (upwards of 150 at a time.) glad I found this site, thank you.