No sound from HDMI

Bazzr14

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
When my cable box is plugged into HDMI port 1 on my TV I get picture and sound, however plugging the same cable box with the same HDMI lead into HDMI port 2 on my tv gives only picture and no sound, any ideas on a solution?
I need my cable box plugged into port 2 as I am now using port 1 for my PC connection which will only work on port 1.

Bazzr14

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

On port 2 I can get sound and video from my blueray player and this is using the same cable I have use for both the PC and cable box, PC isn't recognised at all on port 2 and the cable only has video.

just for clarification...

you tried both the cable box and dvd player on port 2 with the same cable and the cable box had no sound but the dvd player did.

but as you listed earlier the same box and same cable works on hdmi port 1 and it worked.

this rules out the tv hdmi port as being faulty. the cable as being faulty. the hdmi on the cable box as being faulty.

---

if that is the case... it certainly is strange. i'm not sure why it would act like that.

does your cable box have an spdif optical out or spdif coax out (its a yellow gold color looking rca) port? is it set to use this when you are plugged into hdmi 2?

same with your tv... double check that for some reason its not expecting coax or optical input and if it accepts those connections.

perhaps for some reason the cable box is acting like your computer to the tv. maybe for some reason hdmi1 and hdmi2 do not support the same audio formats but that is just as silly as a tv requiring hdmi1 only for pc input (i'm guessing because you have a 120hz tv right?)
---

while not exactly what you were looking to have as a solution... using a hdmi switch and having both go into hdmi 1 would likely solve the issue.

or if you have spdif input you could always use that for the second source..but that seems silly since other hdmi sources work fine on the tv port. its probably an issue with either some standard which isnt supported or some setting between the two devices. my guess would be that the tv just doesnt support something... for whatever reason.

sorry other than checking the settings like i listed above or some solutions i'm just as stumped as your device really shouldnt be acting like that.