No sound from my Samsung bluray!

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I have a Samsung bluray player that is connected to a Sony TV and Sony amplifier via rca cable going from the amp to the headphone plug on TV. Sound for TV works fine but I can't get any sound for the bluray.

Solution
If that's what you're using as an amplifier, it looks like a great selection.

If I may make a suggestion, I would connect your Blu-ray player directly to your amplifier via HDMI, and then connect the amplifier to your TV via HDMI as well.

Select the Blu-ray / DVD input on your amplifier and see if your sound starts to work correctly.

Edit: Your Amplifier should have an HDMI input on it for Blu-ray / DVD. This is what I recommend you connect your Blu-ray player to.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Your setup sounds odd. Audio for the Blu-ray player should be handled via HDMI. Does your amplifier support decoding of the audio format that the Blu-ray disc is encoded in? You can usually select the audio in the Setup option for movies.

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Before I bought the amplifier the HDMI cable attached to the TV took care of sound for tv and movies. Since I bought the amplifier I have sound for tv only. The audio setup on tv requires me to select speakers to get the amp to work and it does fine for my tv only.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Hmm. Okay. So, if I have things straight, you are using a headphone jack on your TV to send the audio to your AMP? This is not the way I would expect to see audio sent to an AMP.

Normally, you would either send the HDMI to your AMP, which will use the audio and pass the video to the TV via another HDMI cable, or you would send the HDMI to your TV, as you are now, but use what's called an audio return channel to send the audio from the TV to the AMP. The reason for the complicated sounding setup is because HDMI is a secure path, that has end-to-end encryption. I'm guessing that, your TV is adhering to proper encryption for the HDMI transmission from your Blu-ray player and refusing to send encrypted audio out of a non-encrypted analog headphone jack to your AMP.

Should be straightforward to test. Does the Blu-ray audio work if you don't use the headphone jack on the TV? Have you made any changes to the TV's sound setup?

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Audio Return Channel is the means by which your amplifier is supposed to accept audio from your TV for playback, when the audio is sourced by either the TV, from such things as broadcast, cable or satellite, or in your case, Blu-ray playback. (tongue-in-cheek) It is needed because, Hollywood in the USA considers all analog audio to be copy-able by pirates, so all content they release needs to be encrypted to prevent such a thing, so end-to-end encryption is required meaning, every device has to pass a digital signal, and that signal needs to be encrypted. Analog sources aren't so easily encrypted, so they are usually just blocked.

From my understanding, it can happen either through the same HDMI that feeds signal from your amp to your TV, or it works through a separate connection from your TV to your amp, if you do not connect the device supplying audio through your amplifier.

If you are not connecting your amplifier to either your Blu-ray player via HDMI, or to your TV's audio return channel HDMI port via HDMI, I wouldn't expect your amplifier to give you any sound. It's an unfortunate side-effect of Hollywood's obsession with piracy.

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Initially I was told that in order for me to use external speakers, I had to connect a RCA cable from the cable box to the amplifier for TV and a RCA cable from the amplifier to the headphone jack of my TV to watch bluray. Unfortunately I didn't use the bluray until today with this setup so I didn't find out until today that it doesn't work. However, since talking to you I have found out that my TV does have a HDMI ARC jack for my bluray player but still no sound. Does any of this make sense?

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Yes, it does make sense. Unfortunately, there are no 1 minute, easy answers. It really does all stem from how Hollywood has decided to force their weird view of consumers on the entire HD marketplace.

First things first, you need to consider analog audio to be off-limits to Blu-ray anything. Being an HD standard, unless you plan to use equipment to bypass the standards, which falls into a bit of a gray area, you should plan to do things as close to by-the-book as possible.

sgtpepperman1953

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016