No Sound From Spdif-out Creative Sound Blaster Z and Logitech Z906

namiyakawinter

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
Im having trouble setting up my Logitech Z906 with my Creative Sound Blaster Z and
installing Dolby Digital Live.

1) using analog cables im able to get proper 5.1 surround sound.
2) However i want to use my fiber optic cable for some reason every time i set:

"SPDIF-OUT
Sound Blaster Z" As my default device there is absolutely no sound from anything BUT
the Creative Sound Blaster Pro Studio. I run the test in the studio and all the speakers check out.
But i cant get any sound from Anything else games youtube or anything else which includes the windows test for sound. I do not have it muted on Mixer either. I can see that the "spdif-out" is getting signals because the bar is moving when im playing something on youtube.

My connection: Fiber Optic is connected to Optical OUT on the Z, I've changed my Input to correct Optical input on the Z906.

PROBLEM NUMBER 2: Dolby Digital Live from Creative

For some reason everytime i try to install Dolby Digital Live it tells me that it can not detect supported device. When on the website it CLEARLY states that the Creative Sound Blaster Z
is a supported sound card for the Dolby Digital Live Program. i got the setup from a friend but i dont think that has an effect on it.

System:

OS - Windows 8.1
Mobo: Gibabyte G.1 Sniper 5
CPU: Intel i5 4690K
GPU: Evga 760
SOundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Z

Someone Help please this is giving me a massive headache.

namiyakawinter

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

Im a little confused on what your saying. I Set SPdif-out as my default device. Can you explain a little more on what you mean? Steps included please.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

namiyakawinter

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

Um so windows 8.1 doesnt go that route anymore. I think. My process which what i think your talking about.

Sounds > Tabs are PLAY BACK, RECORDING, SOUNDS, COMMUNICATIONS. > Playbacks Options are "Speakers Sound Blaster Z Ready" and "SPDIF-OUT Sound Blaster Z Default Device"

namiyakawinter

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

Well there are Stereo Effects but pushing the button changes nothing its not even illuminated. Below is a picture of the Control.

https://www.google.com/search?q=z906&biw=1777&bih=861&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gWRUVN2zFJKwogTj1oG4DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&dpr=0.9#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=rCA8cT4OEVC-DM%253A%3BdzBBnvEuKpLsEM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.t3.com%252Fimg%252Fresized%252Flo%252Fxl_logitech_z906_sub.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.t3.com%252Freviews%252Flogitech-z906-review%3B624%3B351

There's no detail other than look at it and if its got the wrong output, change it.

Also - SPDIF does not have the bandwith to send uncompressed 5.1 audio, hence, why only Dolby and DTS can give 5.1 audio over SPDIF. Unless you have a realtime encoder, probably from a soundcard, you will not be able to get 5.1 audio unless the track you are trying to send is already in Dolby/DTS format.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Most people would know to change the default audio device, and this was mentioned in the original post.
If you really thought he had missed this, then he would need more detailed instructions than this.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

In the case of analog audio to the amplifier, the computer is decoding the digital audio.
With SPDIF or other digital audio connections, the computer will send a digital stream which must be decoded by the amplifier.
If sound is working from Creative Sound Blaster Pro Studio, then the digital cable must be OK and connected to the correct output and input.
The only thing I can see left is the type of digital audio stream produced.
I can only suggest checking the creative software and drivers on the PC on how to change this.

namiyakawinter

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
So this is weird. I believe i've found the Solution. I had to make speakers as my default device instead of spdif based off what Dryker said. Quote below I've disconnected my Analog cables and only my Optical is connected IM ASSUMING its working through SPDIF right? But im still having Issues with installing Dolby Digital Live any thoughts? Says here my sound card is supported soo.

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=68520

"I don't know if this will help this dude in particular, but I beat my head against a wall for two days straight trying to get true 5.1 surround in games through my Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatality Champion using SPDIF Out. I finally stumbled upon success. I'm not even sure what exactly did it, but since I haven't seen this distinction posted anywhere, figured I'd do so here. First key element: make sure the Creative Control Panel works, meaning you can see the options not just a blank skin (I couldn't at first, it took multiple uninstalls and re-installs before I could. It may have had to do with my turning off all virus protection while installing and downloading drivers, not sure). Go through all the options and choose what makes sense (Dolby Digital Live, Surround as 100% to get more from the rear, and Stereo as a Digital Mix to get killer music, for me). Second key element: DO NOT disable "Speakers" in Windows Sound Control (I have Windows 8) thinking "SPDIF Out" should be enabled and not "Speakers". THEY BOTH NEED TO BE ENABLED. And, ironically, "Speakers" has to be the "default device" even though the default device in fact is whatever you have hooked up to "SPDIF Out". Hope this helps. Wish someone would have posted this for me a couple days ago. Almost sent my card back. Now everything sounds awesome."

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3267-73-dolby-digital-live-working-windows

EDIT: I take it back it is not working properly. So when i run speaker test through studio im getting feedback from another speaker. Example if i want to test Backright i will hear feedback from that AND my right front. Same thing when i test left and and its the same if i test front i get feedback from back and vice versa. Unless this is how its suppose to be then. Im stuck again.

ivorybow

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
namiyakawinter Thanks, your fix worked for me. I have Windows 7. It was the default settings in the control panel sounds you recommended that worked. I had been trying for hours to get 5.1 sound with Wolfenstein and now it sounds great!

"... Second key element: DO NOT disable "Speakers" in Windows Sound Control (I have Windows 8) thinking "SPDIF Out" should be enabled and not "Speakers". THEY BOTH NEED TO BE ENABLED. And, ironically, "Speakers" has to be the "default device" even though the default device in fact is whatever you have hooked up to "SPDIF Out". Hope this helps. ... Now everything sounds awesome."

DYECLOCK

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I've read all on the internet that sound blaster z has a problem with their drivers, so if you get it installed and hooked up to an optical LEAVE IT. You'll be spending days busting your head against the wall cause you can't get Sound Blaster Z Control Panel to open or like me your speakers stop working all together. If all else fails just do a restore using a Windows Restore Point to before you installed the windows update drivers, If you like me installed the drivers through Windows Update and it messed up your sound. This should make your speakers work but Sound Blaster Z Control Panel will not be accessible. I'm kind of too afraid to do anything else related to my sound besides switching from Headphones to Monitor speakers to Z906 speakers as i do not want anything else to mess up and i've downloaded a bunch of games i don't want to re download. Hopefully this helps someone out there and as always Creative needs to do something about this!