No Video on this AVI file

Stormblade

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001
Hey all,

I downloaded an AVI file which plays no video. Only sound. I loaded it up in Virtual Dub and the compressor it reported was Pinnacle Systems Mpeg. I checked my video codecs and I have the Pinnacle DV Codec. Not sure if this is the one Virtual Dub reported though.

In any case I've tried TMPGEnc, Virtual Dub and Premiere and the video doesn't show up in any of them so although I tried converting to another format the resulting file also had no video.

Any ideas as to how I can get this AVI to play or is the AVI itself just FUBAR?

-
The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it

dpbement

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I've had this same problem with DIV-x. Is it possible that it's a Div-x file and that you need to download the latest div-x codec? I don't have a URL where to get it but look for it on the web.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
how big and how long is it? For example is it a long playing file that is small like a sound only file would be or is it bigger more like a video would be? In any case check out Graphedit at <A HREF="http://www.doom9.org" target="_new">http://www.doom9.org</A>. Go to filters and direct show and avi source and see what Graphedit thinks you have.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

Stormblade

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001
The video clip is 2 minutes and is about 8 megs. I grabbed that program you mentioned. Graphedt. I chose render media file and opened this one up. Now I'm a bit confused. Virtual Dub reported that it was using the Pinnacle Systems Mpeg Codec, however in Graphedt it displayed a graphical display of the file and here's what it had:

First box displayed the file. Next box to the right says AVI Splitter. This box then leads to two seperate paths. The top path has boxes saying AVI Decompressor->ColorSpace Converter->Video Renderer. The bottom path has Morgan Stream Switcher->Default Directsound Device.

I've not used this program before so I have no idea what it's showing me. I recognized Morgan Stream Switcher though. I wish I could upload the screen shot here. Later I'll upload a file to my web space and post a link.

-
The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it

Stormblade

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001
I tried installing all the DivX codecs I could find. I went from 3.11 all the way to 5.0 which is what I'm using now.

-

Stormblade

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001
Well after hours of uninstalling, reinstalling filters and codecs I decided to once again fire it up in Premiere. I'd done this before but only to see if the video would show and to try converting. What I hadn't done was check the file properties to see what codec Premiere thought was being used.

And guess what? It was the only application that correctly identified the codec. It was the I263 codec which I didn't have installed. Once I installed this all was fine.

The odd thing is that with this codec not there I'm guessing the default decompressor was used which of course resulted in no video. Personally I'd rather have gotten an error saying codec not found or something.

But oh well. Thanks for all the help.

-