Nokia's 41-megapixel Camera Phone Not Coming to the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Bummer..
Well you can always import it unlocked, but I suppose most people in the US are too cheap and will only pay $200 for a locked 2 year contract phone from carriers...

Seems like the only good thing in this phone is the camera.
The screen is absolute poo by today's standards, 360x640 res in 4 inches (=184 ppi), and it's a Pentile AMOLED :p

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I'd prefer to have the Galaxy S3. From what I recall, it has better specs (generally) and it looks much sleeker I suppose.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"but I suppose most people in the US are too cheap and will only pay $200 for a locked 2 year contract phone from carriers..."

As I understand it, monthly rates overseas are much less, so I don't think it is a matter of being cheap, but more a trade-off -- we get $200 iPhone 4S with $60-$100/month phone+data plans... in the UK it looks like [O2] $750 for the phone plus $25-$55 for phone+data.

So it is more layout $550 now or pay an extra $35-45 per month.

I think if there was a 1GB + unlimited text plus 300 minute plan here in the US for $30, you'd find a whole lot of people willing to pay full price for the phones...

nukemaster

Distinguished
A 41 megapixel sensor in something the size of a phone(historically small sensors do not look as good as large ones even larger sensors of lower megapixel ratings). Not sure how well this will look.

Guess a review will be in order.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jl0329[/nom]Real photographers don't use a 41 MP phone to shoot pictures.[/citation]
The only purpose of this sensor is for one to be able to zoom in and crop pictures without compromising the quality of the final result. Real photographers that need to do that know this already.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Smart move by Nokia. People in North America seems to have this trend of "Android, Android, Android" ingrained into their minds. Everything they demand Android. So basically from Nokia's standpoint, why spend a lot of money to bring over a handheld to a market of 300million Android-chanting fanboys when you can address a much larger, more sensible market in Europe?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Smart move by Nokia. People in North America seems to have this trend of "Android, Android, Android" ingrained into their minds. Everything they demand Android. So basically from Nokia's standpoint, why spend a lot of money to bring over a handheld to a market of 300million Android-chanting fanboys when you can address a much larger, more sensible market in Europe?[/citation]And Nokia must have called you and told you this because???? Get a clue dude, N. America, consists of 3 large countries with only a handful of major carriers for the US and I would assume Canada and Mexico being similar with at the most 2-3 languages to deal with. While on the other hand, you have Europe, a conglomerate of many languages, demographics, borders, countires, carriers and subcarriers. Just exactly would you rather work with if you were Nokia? Think about it.

samuraibiged

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
A 41MP sensor on a phone is not going to take good pictures. More megapixels does not mean better pictures despite what the public is led to believe. A 41 megapixel full frame sensor might be good, but cramming that into a phone sized sensor will do nothing more than introduce noise into the picture. Unless Nokia is using a previously unreleased technology no manufacturer has managed to beat the saturation point for a given sensor size.

@House70, any good photographer knows that a large megapixel small sensor is only a toy and is not capable of the type of quality you are eluding to.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Part of the reason is that not many people in the US use Nokia's I think they are near the bottom of the list as far as handset providers go in the US...... I could get one imported from India though if I really wanted one.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]A 41 megapixel sensor in something the size of a phone(historically small sensors do not look as good as large ones even larger sensors of lower megapixel ratings). Not sure how well this will look.Guess a review will be in order.[/citation]

look at the old news about this, someone posted a full resolution pictures over there... the pics look far better than you expect a phone to be... good enough that if given the option i would get this over other smartphones.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]A 41 megapixel sensor in something the size of a phone(historically small sensors do not look as good as large ones even larger sensors of lower megapixel ratings). Not sure how well this will look.Guess a review will be in order.[/citation]

its true, why people give thumbs down? provide true information and get thumbs down?
More megapixels in smaller sensors means less sensitive sensors. thats why more expensive dslr's have bigger sensor's instead of massive amounts of pixels.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]That's FOWL - all of the other stuff from Nokia comes to the US... Guess I'm gonna have to make a trip and get it in my hands.[/citation]
Are you calling them chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.