Nokia's First U.S. Windows Phone Lumia 710 for T-Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I want the Lumia 900. But I think I'm f'd because Verizon probably won't get it, and they have by far the best coverage in this area. I really wish T-Mobile had better coverage here. :(

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I actually see these selling well. The price (on and off-contract. Yes I know they don't say the off-contract price), specs, and hate to say it, but the colors, will make this a winner, plus it being Nokia. I am going to take a shot in the dark and say they are $300ish of-contract which isn't too bad for a phone like this. Yes, compared to a lot of smartphones out there, the specs might seem lackluster. But, if it's a smooth experience, that doesn't matter too much does it? Nokia has always made "tank" phones and I bet this phone is no exception.

What I really want to come out is the Nokia 800 (Lumina). Nokia will always have a place in my heart. Can't forget the hours of playing snake on my moms 5110 :D

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Microsoft is having a tough time moving WP7 for many reasons:

1) Late to market: Apple ran away with the market and Google filled the void that Apple left over. This leads to...

2) Slow start: RTM and NoDo had no business being out there...too many basic features missing until Mango was released.

3) Poor marketing (although having Nokia onboard should change some of this)

4) WM6 being a piece of crap--so many people (and salespeople) think of WM6 when they think of "Windows Phone" that they don't want to touch it with a 10-foot pole

5) Inferior hardware, despite the fact that WP7 runs EXCELLENT on a single-core 1 GHz processor while Android needs more than that to have a smooth user experience. Despite that, users are going to hear "dual-core" and want an Android instead (this then becomes more of a marketing problem...see #1 above).

6) LACK of hardware. CDMA carriers only sell one, yes ONE WP7 handset. Verizon only sells the Trophy, Sprint only sells the HTC Arrive (a renamed 7 Pro), and the smaller carriers the HTC 7 Pro (without a name change). The GSM providers have a larger selection, but still...the Android selection DWARFS that of WP7!!!

7) Apps. Yes, I know the app store grew MUCH faster than Apple and Google's stores, but the platform is still missing many of the killer apps that iPhone and Android have. This is pretty much a Catch-22: apps will come when the platform becomes more popular, but it needs apps to become more popular!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS