Nokia's Lumia 800 Reaching States on Feb 14 as Bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Is Nokia and Microsoft trying to invoke high demand for the smartphone in the United States, launching it on Valentine's Day in a special bundle?"

Not at $899...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"The bundle itself is reportedly aimed at Valentine's Day and gift shoppers looking for something unique."

That's just good inventory management. Considering the price point and retailer, there isn't any reason to stock more than one.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]RollingHills[/nom]"Is Nokia and Microsoft trying to invoke high demand for the smartphone in the United States, launching it on Valentine's Day in a special bundle?

"Not at $899...[/citation]

I don't know...we are pretty stupid when it comes to buying crap for our women...

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Most Americans are content with spending 1000$ on a 400$ phone, as long as its hidden in the contract in the form of "Required Services", and they just see the up front price tag of 200 bucks.

I think Microsoft is advertising to the wrong market on this one, tech heads might jump on if they see the value, but honestly how many people look beyond the pretty colors when they buy there phones? I've seen me family members shop, and they go for the shiniest crap, or the Apple stuff, absolutely clueless to the hardware that's running underneath.

It would probably do well in countries that already have a strong market for unsubsidized phones, Asia, Europe, some South American countries come to mind...

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
still wouldn't pay 900$ for something that runs WM. Paid 300$ for my Optimus Black. Contract-free of course.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Adequate hardware poor OS, equals middling phone. Report card, must try harder! Seriously Too little, too expensive to run and far too late to the game. Nokia should have ignored the quarter of a billion bribe and stuck with Meego.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
That price, in this economy? Bad move. People will get one online, un-bundled and unlocked. Stores will be forced to un-wrap their bundles in order to sell their stock.

G

"Nokia's first Windows Phone 7.5 smartphone for the United States -- the Nokia Lumia 800 -- will arrive on February 14 as part of a bundle."

Um can some one fact check that? The Lumina 710 has been out for a couple months.

purrcatian

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
and Windows Phone 7.5 packed with Nokia bloatware.

Everything was fine up until the last line. The author needs to understand that Windows is the bloatware. I own both a Nokia N900 and Nokia N9, and I have nothing but good things to say about Nokia's software. As far as I know, the only Nokia software included with the Lumia 800 is Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive, both of which are very nice mapping/GPS applications and run very nicely in addition to the fact that their use is completely optional. I suspect that these two Nokia programs are two of the best WP7 applications available.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Also in February, Microsoft plans to launch a glossy white variant of the Lumia 800 in Europe, adding to the current cyan, magenta and black lineup.
Umm... I doubt Mircosoft launches Nokias phones.

G

"Nokia bloatware" ?!! That was a rather insulting and uneducated comment. The included Nokia software, at least in Europe, are Nokia Maps, Nokia Drive and Nokia Music. Nokia Drive is an excellent navigation system that uses FREE maps, (for any country in the world, that you download via wiFi before you start your trip) You are not dependent on data plans since it uses GPS for tracking and will not download maps via the cellular network, like Google or Bing do. Nokia Music is a free music service. Both Nokia Music and nokia Drive are "free for life" and nokia Drive will allow you to update your downloaded maps as soon as new versions are available..

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
What bundle of rip-off or selling garbage alongwith an admittedly good phone. At least in phones, we in India seem to be better. Bought 2 last month (SIM-free or just the phone) in Delhi, India for around US$560 each (Rs. 27,800 each to be precise). Spent another US$2 each on each phone to get the SIM card cut to fit into the micro-SIM card.

G

please the best ui for smartphones is windows 7.5 it might have taken then a while but the fact is it is the best way to nagavite your apps etc and paired with nokia hardware it is an excellent
phone

Status
Not open for further replies.